Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

TALES to tell and MUSINGS to mind!

This is where you will find interesting TALES of the various people that lived in and around Welland during the 1800s and 1900s.

We’ve also introduced a new subcategory: HISTORICAL MUSINGS by select featured authors.

J.H. Crow – Welland’s Leading Hardware Merchant

[Souvenir of the Town of Welland issued August 22nd, 1902 by the Welland Telegraph, Sears & Sawle Publishers]

Some twelve years since Mr. J. H. Crow disposed of his grocery stock since which time he has most successfully conducted a hardware and tinsmithing establishment, his business permeating a large portion of the Niagara Peninsula. Mr Crow occupies a three story brick building on West Main street, the lower floor being utilized for the display and sale of stoves, silverware, shelf hardware, tin and granite ware; the second being used as a repair shop for all kinds of tin and galvanized ironware, and the third for the storage of light stock, such as screen doors, etc; the basement being filled with painter’s and other supplies, including nails, glass, oils, and also horseshoes. Mr Crow also does a large business in plumbing and gas fitting, and had the contract for the plumbing of the Dexter House, as also many of the fine residences in town. Mr Crow buys for cash, and sells at close profits, and no doubt exists but that this is the place to purchase stoves and hardware. Mr Crow has been honored with a membership in the High School Board several times, as well as in the town council; is treasurer of the Methodist church, and a P.D.D.G.M. of the Masonic Order in the Niagara district.

R.G. Common, Baker and Confectioner

The professional baker is just as essential to the community as those who provide any other matter of life’s sustenance, for the baker is usually prepared at short notice to furnish the individual or the family, the hotel or private party, with such cooked breadstuffs that for palatableness and variety excels that of domestic cooking. There is a difference, nevertheless, in bakers, for while the ordinary daily consumption of this particular necessity of life is of every day plain variety, there are occasions, not infrequent, when something in fancy breadstuffs is required, which often develops the resourcefulness of the manipulator thereof, and brings the baker’s art into prominence, creditable alike to his genius and those for whom he caters, and it is this which has redounded to the credit of Mr and Mrs. R.G. Common, whose modern baking establishment with its handsome plate glass front, is located on East Main Street, not far from the Court House. Mr and Mrs Common have been associated in this essential profession for upward of sixteen years, successfully, and are familiar with every detail in the production of plain or fancy baking, the components of which are from the best material and substances. Aside from the production of plain home made bread, cake and pastry, requiring the constant use of a delivery team in order to supply patrons, other than those who procure their supplies from the establishment itself, they make a specialty of ornamented wedding or party cakes in any design desired to order, as also the very best  of fancy cooked and ornamented breadstuffs, in all its forms, and are prepared to supply parties, large or small, with bread, cake or pastry, at the shortest possible notice. Then again they have added a handsome ice cream parlor to their premises, wherein is dispensed during the season, this delicious substance, of all flavors, and of their own manufacture, together with ice cream soda tinctured with the best of home made pure fruit syrups. Ice cream can also be procured at all times in any quantity, or of any flavor, upon order, for receptions or parties. Mr Common also carries a fine line of candies and sweetmeats, and being a confectioner as well, manufactures his own confections to a large extent. Altogether it is the leading baking and confectionery establishment in Welland.

A. Griffiths, Warden Welland County

Mr. A. Griffiths, Warden of the County of Welland, was born in the township of Crowland, where his father, Mr Thos Griffiths, still resides, at the ripe old age of 86 years. The subject of this sketch located in Welland in 1864, and has been actively engaged  in business since, maintaining an active interest in agricultural, educational and municipal affairs, having been connected with the management of the County of Welland Agricultural Society for several years. He has served on the Public and High School Boards and was a member of the Town and County Council in 1895. He was Mayor of Welland in 1897. In 1901 he was elected a member of the Board of County Commissioners, and became Warden of the  County of the current year. He is one of the promoters of the 20th Century rink, built by himself and C.J.Page in 1898. Mr Griffiths has done much to beautify the town in the matter of building a substantial class of residences and he owns a block of land adjacent to the G.T.R., admirably situated for manufacturing purposes.

H.A. Rose, General Store

While the general store, or more properly speaking, double store for, though combined, each has a separate street entrance, of Mr H,.A. Rose, located in the three story brick building on the corner of West and North Main Streets, and which has been in successful operation since 1864, is not in a strict sense a department store, yet in its appointments, about all that is necssary to the comfort of mankind in general, externally, can be found within. The corner store, which is 70×21, affords ample room for the display of such goods as are a delight to the fair sex, and the male sex as well, comprising all the latest and most fashionable patterns in dress goods, both domestic and foreign, from a common print to the finest fabries, together with dress linings, trimmings, hosiery, gloves, small wares, underwear and furnishings for either sex. In  connection therewith Mr Rose carries a complete stock of boots, shoes and general footwear, including rubbers of all sizes and adaptable for either sex, with wall papers and carpets of various designs and grades. The adjoining store is devoted to groceries of which Mr Rose carries as complete a stock as can be found in town, including all the staple commodities included in the grocery catalogue. in addition thereto. Mr Rose carries a full line of crockery. As a fitting conclusion, a well stocked ready made clothing department, wherein can be found ready-to-wear garments for young or old is one of the essentials of one of the best general merchandise establishments on the Niagara peninsula and the stock of which is maintained to a high standard of excellence, while the prices are no higher than is often quoted for inferior articles.

Fenwick News

[Welland Port Colborne Evening Tribune ,Tuesday June 6, 1944]

Fenwick June 6–Huge baskets of iris, lilies and spirea were used most effectively as decorations for the floral tea and bake sale held from three to six o’clock in the Sunday school rooms of Fenwick United church. Mrs C. Misener, president of the W.A. made the guests welcome at the door.

Tea was poured by Mrs J. Hampson and Mrs W. Moisley, followed by  Mrs H. Rock and Mrs W.E. Boyes from a beautifully-appointed tea table laid with a lace cloth. A silver bowl of white and yellow blossoms centred the table and was flanked by lighted tapers in silver candelabra. Silver tea services at both ends of the table completed the effect. The guests were served by Mrs H. Adrian, Mrs G. Lampman, Mrs W. Duncan and Mrs H.E. Hood. The bake sale table, in charge of Mrs G.  Christopherson, Mrs L.E. Haist, conducted a thriving business. A pleasant social time was enjoyed and a good sum realized.

Births

[Welland Port Colborne Evening Tribune, Tuesday June 6, 1944]

Skelton –Mr and Mrs Robert Skelton (nee Myrtle Roberts) Welland Junction are happy to announce the birth of their daughter Gwyneth Elizabeth at the Welland Auxilliary Hospital on Saturday , June 3,1944.

Roik--Pte. George Roik(nee Marjorie Turner) are happy  to announce the arrival of their baby daughter  on Thursday, June 1,1944, a sister for Georgie.

McBrayne–Mr and Mrs M. McBrayne nee (Dorothy Phillips)are happy  to announce the arrival of a son on Tuesday, June 6, 1944 at the Welland Auxilliary Hospital.

Smith– To Mr and Mrs R.R. Smith (nee Dorothea Phillips) a son, Robert Kent on Sunday June 4, 1944, at the Welland Auxilliary Hospital.

Engagements

[Welland Port Colborne Evenning Tribune Tuesday,June 6, 1944]

Mr and Mrs J.H. Fletcher Jr. of Fonthill, wish to announce the engagement of their younger daughter, Mabel Eleanor to Harry Payne, son of Mr and Mrs A.P. Payne of Beverdams. The wedding will take place on July 15.

Weddings: Perenack–Billyard

[Welland Port Colborne Evening Tribune, Tuesday June 6, 1944]

First Baptist church was the scene of a pretty wedding Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, when Elsie Margaret, daughter of Mr and Mrs W.H. Billyard, 270 Bishop Road, became the bride of Joseph Perenack, son of Mr and Mrs Paul Perenack, 270 Burgar Street. Rev S.R. Weaver performed the ceremony.

Given in marriage by her father, the bride was charming in a white long-sleeved sheer frock with inserted sides of lace and buttoned down the back. A long lace veil was held to her head with a cluster of flowers. Miss Ethel Billyard was her sister’s attendant, wearing a blue net dress with a peplum effect with a sweetheart neckline, She wore a Dutch-cap headdress and carried a cascade of pink roses and sweetpeas.

Miss Mary Stillman was organist and James Marando was groomsman.

A reception was held at 4 o’clock at the Marine restaurant. The bride’s mother received wearing a blue sheer street length frock and a corsage of pink roses. She was assisted by the mother of the bridegroom, who also wore blue sheer with a corsage of pink roses.

The bride’s table was prettily decorated with pink carnations and centred with a three-tier wedding cake.

For travelling to Bangor Lodge, Muskoka, for their honeymoon, Mrs Perenack chose a black crepe dress with black accessories under a black chesterfield coat.

On their return, Mr and Mrs Perenack will reside at 33 Maple Avenue.

June Wedding At Wellandport

[Welland Port Colborne Evening Tribune, Tuesday, June 6, 1944]

Boyle, June 6-A pretty early summer wedding was held in Wellandport on Thursday, June 1st when Francis Jean Ulman of St Catharines, the daughter of Mr and Mrs Henry Ulman of Wellandport was united in marriage to James Edward Crawford of Niagara-on-the Lake. The ceremony took place at the home of the bride’s parents, with Rev. G.J. Comfort,B.A.,B.D.,D.D., United church minister at Dunnville and great-uncle of bride, officiating.

Given in marriage by her father, the bride was charming in a streetlength dress of white chiffon, fashioned with a round neck-line and interwoven silver yoke. The fitted waistline fell into a full skirt and her white shoulder-length veil was fastened with a headdress of white ribbon rosettes. She carried a bouquet of pink snapdragons and white and pink carnations.

The maid of honor, Miss Betty Scott of St Catharines, wore yellow silk crepe, street-length style, made on fitted lines. Her headdress was similar to that of the bride and she carried a bouquet of bronze snapdragons and bouvardia; Alex Crawford of Niagara Falls, brother of the groom, was best man and the bride’s sister, Miss Audrey Ulman played the wedding music.

After the ceremony a reception for the immediate families was held. The bride’s table, laid with a lace cloth, was centred with the three-tiered wedding cake, flanked by red roses in silver baskets and pink candles in silver candelabra.

Later the couple left for a short motor trip. For travelling the bride wore a dress of pale orchid with coat in a deeper orchid shade, and white accessories. On their return Mr and Mrs Crawford will reside in St Catharines.

Out of town guests were present from Elco, St Catharines, Niagara Falls, Dunnville and Queenston.

Local Couple Wed Saturday

[Welland Port Colborne Evening Tribune, Tuesday June 6, 1944]

Allanburg June 6- A wedding of interest to this community took place Saturday afternoon at Christ Church, Niagara Falls, when Ruth Eileen, daughter of Alex Waring of Fonthill was united in marriage to Lorne Edward Stevens, youngest son of Mrs A. and the late Arthur Stevens of Allanburg. The Rev G.B. Gordon officiated.

The bride wore a street-length gown of white net over satin, made with a full skirt, V-neck and long sleeves with hand ruffle. A halo of net with a shoulder length veil and a corsage of pink and white roses completed her outfit.

Miss Dorothy Marie Stevens, sister of the groom, was the bridesmaid and wore a gown of mauve net over satin, made on the same lines as the bride’s dress. She chose a corsage of carnations and lily-of-the valley and white accessories, Adam Barron of Port Robinson, was groomsman.

Following the ceremony, a reception was held at Uncle Sam’s restaurant, Niagara Falls for 14 guests. The bride’s table was centred with a two-tier wedding cake and summer flowers adorned the dining  room. The young couple will reside in Fonthill.

Women’s Institutes – PART SIX

Fonthill WI dates to 1913 still active in community

[Welland Evening Tribune, Thurs March 31,1977]

The Fonthill Women’s Institute dates back to February 1913 when there was an area roughly between Pancake Lane to Spring Valley Manor apartments at the north and from Fonthill Lumber Co., originally the site of the old rail station, to Port Robinson Road, with a population of approximately 500.

In this small area, there was great civic interest by the institute members. There was knitting for the soldiers; first aid kits for the school; free sewing instruction for the older public school girls; public speaking for all pupils in Fonthill region along with providing public picnic tables and benches in the lower park.

A flag pole was provided for the centre of the village and projects were a few news bulletin board and the donation of free skating on the small outdoor rink, not forgetting the supervision donated for the safety of afternoon skating.

Read the rest of this entry »

Women’s Institutes PART FIVE

Women’s  institute founded in Fenwick near turn of century

[Welland Evening Tribune Thurs March31, 1977]

Fenwick Women’s Institute (which was first known as Pelham Women’s Institute) was organized early in 1909 as a part of Monck Districk, Mrs R. B. Fitzgerald was the first president and became secretary-treasurer of Monck District, a position she filled until the dissolution of the district in 1917.

In the days of the infancy of the institutes few women worked away from their homes, so that meetings were directed mostly to the welfare of homes and families.

Perhaps one of the greater efforts of the Fenwick Institute was  the successful completion of a campaign to have electricity and street lights brought to the village of Fenwick, and in the buildings of sidewalks. In those days there were no competing organizations so that there were few distractions to the spread of institute work. Mostly of all the women in the community belonged to the institute and were staunch in their support.

Read the rest of this entry »

Women’s Institutes of Ontario, PART FOUR

Pelham Women’s Institute organized March 31, 1934.

Tweedsmuir Village History begun January 3, 1951

History of our Branch

Pelham Women’s Institute

Our branch of the Women’s Institute was organized at Law’s School on March 31, 1934, with Mrs J.D. Martin of Welland in charge of the meeting. The first president was Mrs Charles Lynes and the secretary Mrs Earl Bissell. There were  36 members during our first years. Later there were about half that number, and at the present time we have 22.

In following the prescribed program as suggested for the W.I. many interesting and enlightening afternoons have been spent. Among our speakers were Mr. L.B. Duff. Mrs. L.G. Lymburner, the agricultural representatives of the time, and of course, our county presidents.

As most institutes, we have kept up our financial obligations by the holding of bake sales, teas, card parties and dances. Of late years the dances have been the most popular source of income, both from the standpoint of finances and from the satisfaction and entertainment afforded to all ages in the community. With the money thus made we have been able to give yearly to such worthwhile causes as Children’s Aid, Institute for the blind, Red Cross, Welland Hospital and many others equally deserving. When such special appeals as the Manitoba Relief Fund and the Hospital for Sick Children were made, we were able to respond. At the present time we are hoping to make a substantial contribution towards a hall which can be used by all the people hereabouts.

Read the rest of this entry »