Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

Results for ‘Fenwick’

Fenwick News

[Welland Port Colborne Evening Tribune ,Tuesday June 6, 1944]

Fenwick June 6–Huge baskets of iris, lilies and spirea were used most effectively as decorations for the floral tea and bake sale held from three to six o’clock in the Sunday school rooms of Fenwick United church. Mrs C. Misener, president of the W.A. made the guests welcome at the door.

Tea was poured by Mrs J. Hampson and Mrs W. Moisley, followed by  Mrs H. Rock and Mrs W.E. Boyes from a beautifully-appointed tea table laid with a lace cloth. A silver bowl of white and yellow blossoms centred the table and was flanked by lighted tapers in silver candelabra. Silver tea services at both ends of the table completed the effect. The guests were served by Mrs H. Adrian, Mrs G. Lampman, Mrs W. Duncan and Mrs H.E. Hood. The bake sale table, in charge of Mrs G.  Christopherson, Mrs L.E. Haist, conducted a thriving business. A pleasant social time was enjoyed and a good sum realized.

The Public Library At Fenwick

{Welland Tribune 1921}

The following from the pen of E.W. Farr appears in the current number of the Ontario Library Review:

The Police  village of Fenwick Ontario, can boast of one of the finest little public libraries in the Province, and the ease with which the work has been performed has been phenomenal.

The following sketch from a village of less than four hundred is furnished the Review with the hope that it may prove an inspiration to other rural localities to establish a library where carefully selected reading may be available for the public.

In March 1919, the late Mrs. A.M. Paterson, a highly-respected resident of our village passed to the Great Beyond. She bequeathed four hundred dollars and her library, as a nucleus for a library for the village of Fenwick, providing the funds were used for that purpose within a year.

This very thoughtful bequest proved an inspiration to the whole village. A public meeting was called in November 1919, collectors were appointed and in a short time subscriptions of three thousand seven hundred was raised.

A library board was regularly appointed under instructions from the Public Libraries Branch and in the early summer of 1920, work was commenced, and a beautiful pressed brick building occupies a central position on an excellent lot donated by W.H. Fry.

The building completed November 1st, 1920, under the supervision of J.C. Sloat, chairman of the building committee, cost nearly three thousand dollars.

The book committee has purchased and received from donations seven hundred volumes which, supplemented by a splendid list from the travelling library of the Provincial Department, furnish an ample supply for present needs.

The president, W.H. Morgan and the other directors have worked faithfully throughout the year for the good of the library and have received every help from W.O. Carson, Inspector of Public Libraries, and are much indebted to Miss Patricia Spereman, also of the Department, for very helpful advice and services rendered on her two visits to Fenwick.

Endorse County Library Scheme

{Welland Tribune 1945}

Fenwick, Oct 27—The Maple Acre Library board of directors, met Thursday evening in the library rooms, with Miss L. De La Mater as chairman. The minutes were read by Mrs. L.S. Haney and statement of finances given by Jos. Leppert.

Mention was made of the bad condition of eavestrough on the building and a committee consisting of F. Tunnacliffe and Jos. Leppert were appointed to have new eavestrough installed. The sum of $75 was voted the Book Purchasing committee for new books.

The following schedule for caring for library during coming months was drawn up: October,Jos Leppert; November, F. Tunnacliffe; December, J. Roy Page; January, G. McGlashan; February, W. Julian; March, Mrs. L.S. Haney, April, Miss De La Mater; May, Mrs H.T. Elliot.

The main topic of discussion was the possible formation of a Welland county co-operative library association, with Miss De La Mater giving a concise report of the meetig held at Niagara Falls on Wednesday evening, attended by six of the Fenwick board. At the meeting Inspector Mowatt of Toronto, provincial inspector of libraries explained the steps necessary to form a county library association. A committee of six, representing Niagara Falls, Welland, Thorold, Fort Erie Stamford and Fenwck. was formed at that meeting to go ahead with investigation of libraries in the county as to possible support of the project. The Fenwick board expressed unanimous approval of the project and Miss De La Mater, who is a member of the committee appointed, was instructed to so  inform the committee.

Pelham: New Methodist Church at Fenwick

{Welland Telegraph 1898}

Corner stone laying

The corner-stone laying of the new Methodist church at Fenwick on Tuesday was a most successful and pleasing function. The attendance was very large. The ritual of the church for such cases made and provided was read by Rev. A.E. Russ of Welland, chairman of the Welland district. The corner-stone of the new edifice was well and truly laid by F.W. Watkins,Esq., of Hamilton, who made a most appropriate address, as did also the following reverend gentlemen who were present, namely: Revds, R.W. Woodworth, G.E. Honey, Cassiday, Christie and Smith (Port Robinson)

After which, dinner was served in the lecture room of the church. The ladies won golden opinions for the ample and elaborate spread, and tasteful floral decorations. Next in order was an address from Hon. R. Harcourt, which was one of that eloquent speaker’s happiest and most appropriate efforts.

The building was brilliantly illuminated by acetylene gas, manufactured by one of McMurray’s (Welland) generators. The lights were admired by all for their purity, brilliancy and steadiness

The Fonthill brass band added to the charms of the occasion by their enlivening strains.

In addition to the previous subscription list an offering of $150 was made at the corner-stone laying, which, with $50 or $60 netted at the dinner, will make the proceeds of the day aggregate over $200  for the building fund. The church will be practically a new structure, though the present building will be utilized, It will be raised, a stone sub-structure erected for a lecture room; a wholly new addition will be erected., and the present building, after being raised, will be veneered with brick, and the interior will be renewed. The result will be that the Methodists of Fenwick and vicinity will have a handsome as well as ample and modern-equipped place of worship.

Fenwick Improvements

{Welland Telegraph 1898}

The village of Fenwick shows much improvement and increase in size. Several new business additions have been made and a large number of commodious and beautiful residences have been erected during the past year.

The Methodist church, which was first erected in 1860 is being thoroughly rebuilt. A large T shaped addition is being built at the rear, and a basement is being placed under the auditorium. The foundation and the basement will be of stone from Rockway, Louth township, quarries, and the church proper will be veneered with brick from Hooker’s yards, Welland. The buiding, when completed, will be a lasting monument to the village. The Methodist body here numbers some 200 members and theirs is the only church in the village. The building will be lighted by acetylene gas. W.F. Haist, Fenwick, mason and Ryan & Cook, woodworkers, have the contracts.

A. L. Pattison has rebuilt his residence adjoining his store, and thereby made a very neat abiding place.

John Gladwin, a carpenter and builder has erected for himself a very neat and handy residence, which also adds greatly to the appearance of the village.

Wm. Ryan, also a builder, has put up for himself a new residence on Canboro  street. It was built last fall and when fully completed will be an up-to-date home and quite cosy.

C.J. Sloat has erected on his seven acre garden farm a very tasty home. It is of modern appearance and stands out very prominently.

Dr. Birdsall has converted his barns and outbuildings into more convenient and suitable shape and arrangement. The doctor has one of the prettiest residences and lawns to be seen in a long drive. It is nicely terraced, while here and there hedges and ornamental shrubs are placed in striking effect.

Altogether this thrifty little village is moving along with the steady growth of Canada, and the citizens take great pride I the improvements.

Fenwick Fair

{Welland Tribune 1892}

Pelham Breaks The Record.

Over 5000 People Patronize the Big Fair
A Great Day And A Great Show
Notes of the Exibits and List of the Winners

Nearly seven hundred dollars at the gate!

Briefly but eloquently this tells the tale of the unparalled success of Pelham Agricultural society’s show of 1892.
It makes a new record for itself and paralyzes all local records—so far as  attendance is concerned.

A very little figuring will place the number present away up in the thousands—5000 at least!

The gate receipts at 20c admission represent over 3400 people,–allowing the money paid for rigs to offset that not paid for children. Then 300 members received four tickets each—1200 more human beings……..

Fenwick Fair

{Welland Tribune 1912}

Which was First the Hen or the Egg?

FENWICK FAIR
Is first in everything
Don’t forget the date
Fenwick, October 8 and 9, 1912

A time of your life
Five good speed contests
Large fruit and stock exhibit

Band of 91st Regiment Canadian Highlander Hamilton.
Guessing contest for ladies from towns and cities.

Fenwick Fair

{compiled by S}

Earliest records of the fair was 1856, however, some say it goes back further. The first fair was in Riceville, located on top of the hill west of Fonthill. Other sites were the Pelham Township Hall in Fenwick, now Maple St. Also on Church St in Fenwick, then the railway  forced it to move to East Church St and Foss Road on the south.

After the coming of the railroad in 1890, special excursions came from Hamilton, Welland and Buffalo to the fair.

The fair consisted of twenty- five acres of land. It was under the Pelham Township Agricultural Society. It was an exciting event for the children and people of the area

In 1905 the admission for adults was 20 cents, for children 10 cents.

Attractions were the merry-go-round, ferris wheel, livestock exhibit, drills by Pelham schools, cattle and poultry exhibits, a medicine man and magicians.

There were horse barns, dining hall, exibit buildings, horse racing was a popular attraction. When the fair was first established the merry-go-round and ferris wheel had to be operated by live horsepower. The Tom Bishop Wild West Show was one of the attractions at the fair.. It was the largest fair in the area.

The fair in the most part was held in late September or early October. It closed in the 1930s. For three years in a row it rained and the loss of receipts made it impossible to carry on. The buildings were sold and the land returned to farming.

Mail in Fenwick

{compiled by S}

The first post office opened on April 1, 1853, the same day as Fenwick  received its name. The first post master was Leonard Haney. The mail was brought into Fenwick and outgoing mails dispatched by courier on horseback, who made the journey from Port Robinson to Canboro, on one day and returned the next day.

The first rural route for Fenwick began August 1, 1912 with Mr. M.Shriner as the contractor.

Mr. Allan Rice took over

the Royal mail route, an extension of T.H.&B railway through Fenwick to Welland. He carried all of the freight, mail, box and Christmas orders for years.

In the 1920s the mailman drove a horse and buggy. When the mail train arrived the mail was taken to the Fenwick post office and stamped. The mail was sorted by the mailmen on the rural routes. The villagers picked up their mail at the post office. The mail was delivered six days a week. The big event was the arrival of the Eaton’s catalogue.

In the 1930s stamps were 2 cents each. Frank Tunnacliffe was  postmaster. The postoffice was a small shop and Frank lived upstairs. He picked up bags of incoming mail at the T.H.&B. station on Church St., from Monday to Saturday. The mail arrived 6am, 10am,3pm, and 6pm. They locked the first class mail, tied bags of second class mail and local mail. Mail was given to the route carriers who sorted their own mail and put it in cardboard boxes to be delivered. By this time automobiles were a popular delivery vehicle

Many people would place money in their mail boxes to receive stamps

A new post office was built in 1954.

Postmasters at Fenwick:
Rev Leonard Haney {1853-1858}
Jacob Brackbill {1858-1862}
J. Hume Taylor {1862-1865}
James W. Taylor {1865-1874}
A.O. Stringer {1874-1880}
Barney Hare {1880-1881}
F.W. Hutt 1881-1888}
J.M. Edsall {1888-1891}
W.H. Swayze {1891-1897}
W. H. Fry {1897-1923}
Frank J.Tunnacliffe {1924-1949}
Miss Margaret Keenan {1949-1975}
Mr. Arnott {1975-1991}

MAIL CONTRACT

{Welland Tribune 1904}

SEALED TENDERS, addressed to the Postmaster General, will be received at  Ottawa until Noon, on Friday, the 7th October, 1904. for the conveyance of his Majesty’s Mails, on a proposed Contract for four years, six times per week  each way, between Fenwick and River Bend (proposed P.O.) from the Postmaser General’s pleasure.

Printed notices containing further information as to conditions of proposed Contract may be seen and blank forms of Tender may be obtained at the Post Office of Fenwick and at the Office of the Post Office Inspector at Toronto.

Post Office Department,

Mail Contract Branch,

Ottawa, 22nd Aug. 1904

G.C. Anderson, Superintendent.

Tenders are invited for the carriage of mails six times a week each way between Fenwick and River Bend, the latter being a proposed new post office near the Welland river south of Fenwick.