Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

Dr. Richard S. King {1817-1885}

{compiled by “S”}

Dr. Richard King was born in county Wexford, Ireland in 1817. He graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin. He practiced in Manchester, England, before emigrating to Canada in 1844. He came to Fort Erie and lived with his brother-in-law, Dr. Morris. He first practiced in Humberstone. In 1846 he moved to Port Robinson to succeed Dr. Campbell.

Port Robinson was a busy area and he was joined by Dr. Augustus Jukes and Dr. John MacFarland.

Dr. King, along with Captain Verner of Port Colborne organized the Welland Canal Field Battery for the purpose of protecting the Welland Canal. This unit was voluntary, manned by men living along the waterway and Dr. King became the captain in charge.

The Fenian Raid in 1866 was an important event for the Welland Canal Field Battery. The day after the Fenians arrived in Fort Erie, on June 1st, 1866, Dr. King and his unit, along with the rest of the militia, were located in Port Colborne.

Read the rest of this entry »