Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

Hoover, Dexter David–103

Hoover, Dexter David--103

Hoover, Dexter David–102

Hoover, Dexter David--102


[Welland Tribune, 2 September 1898]

LATE MRS. BAMPTON-Emma, relict of late James Bampton, an old and highly respected resident of the town, departed this life on Sunday last, at the age of 66 years, 2 months and 18 days. Her husband, late Capt. James Bampton, predeceased her by only a few months, dying on the 24th of April last. Mrs. Bampton was born in England in 1832, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Husted, who came to this country three years later, at first locating in Chippawa. Mr. Husted died at the age of 84, but Mrs. Husted-Mrs. Bampton’s mother-attained the remarkable privilege and honor of a centenarian, dying two years ago in Michigan in the 101st year of her age. One son, James and one daughter (Mrs. Wm. Swartz) survive to mourn in the death of Mrs. Bampton the loss of an ever affectionate mother. The funeral took place on Wednesday. In the absence of Rev. Dr. Johnstone, Rev. P.L. Spencer of the Episcopal church, Thorold, officiated, burial at Fonthill, where the mortal body was laid away to await the resurrection of the just.


Survivor of Thrilling Experiences

Blown up by an Explosion


He Lived to an Old Age and Dies a Natural Death

[Welland Tribune, 29 April 1898]

Perhaps no one in the town of Welland had a wider or warmer circle of friends than Capt. James Bampton, who departed this life at his home on Sunday last, aged 68 years. Everyone who knew him was his friend; he had no enemies.

Capt. Bampton was a native of England, but has been a resident of this county nearly all his life. He was a vessel captain and engineer by occupation, and in his day was the subject of several notable adventures. Among the small tugs he ran on the canal and river hearabout were the “Whip” and the “L.N.G,” both of which will be familiar words to the older people of Welland. The boiler of the “Whip” exploded whilst she was lying at McDonald’s saw mill on the Welland river. Capt. Bampton was badly scalded, Charley Gillam, one of his crew, was killed, and George Poor, another, was severely injured.

Capt. Bampton also had a thrilling experience on the Niagara river. It is said he was the nearest to going over Niagara Falls of any person ever in a tugboat or large boat of any kind, and to be saved. He was engaged by the late John Brown of Thorold, who had the contract for reducing the banks of the deep cut, to prevent their sliding in every spring. The earth was loaded on mud scows, and it was Mr. Bampton’s work to tow them, three at a time, to the Niagara river, where the earth was dumped into the water.

One of the scows got loose, and Mr. Bampton in endeavoring to rescue it ran down below the first line of rapids. All who saw his perilous position thought he was doomed to go over the Falls, but skilful management and a close call Capt. Bampton rescued the tug and brought her safe into the Chippawa.

Mr. Bampton has been ailing for a long time, and was confined to his bed five weeks before his death, which was caused by throat and lung diseases. A widow and one son, James Jr., and one daughter, Mrs. William Swartz, survive.

In politics deceased was a Conservative; in religion an adherent of the church of England.

The funeral on Tuesday was attended by a large gathering of friends to tender the last token of respect. The last services were performed by Rev. Dr. Johnstone; interment at Fonthill cemetery.

The pall-bearers were John R. Dowd, Peter McKinley, R.H. Phillips, Willis Nunnemaker, James Blackwell and Frank Ott.

Pelham: New Methodist Church at Fenwick

{Welland Telegraph 1898}

Corner stone laying

The corner-stone laying of the new Methodist church at Fenwick on Tuesday was a most successful and pleasing function. The attendance was very large. The ritual of the church for such cases made and provided was read by Rev. A.E. Russ of Welland, chairman of the Welland district. The corner-stone of the new edifice was well and truly laid by F.W. Watkins,Esq., of Hamilton, who made a most appropriate address, as did also the following reverend gentlemen who were present, namely: Revds, R.W. Woodworth, G.E. Honey, Cassiday, Christie and Smith (Port Robinson)

After which, dinner was served in the lecture room of the church. The ladies won golden opinions for the ample and elaborate spread, and tasteful floral decorations. Next in order was an address from Hon. R. Harcourt, which was one of that eloquent speaker’s happiest and most appropriate efforts.

The building was brilliantly illuminated by acetylene gas, manufactured by one of McMurray’s (Welland) generators. The lights were admired by all for their purity, brilliancy and steadiness

The Fonthill brass band added to the charms of the occasion by their enlivening strains.

In addition to the previous subscription list an offering of $150 was made at the corner-stone laying, which, with $50 or $60 netted at the dinner, will make the proceeds of the day aggregate over $200  for the building fund. The church will be practically a new structure, though the present building will be utilized, It will be raised, a stone sub-structure erected for a lecture room; a wholly new addition will be erected., and the present building, after being raised, will be veneered with brick, and the interior will be renewed. The result will be that the Methodists of Fenwick and vicinity will have a handsome as well as ample and modern-equipped place of worship.

Fenwick Improvements

{Welland Telegraph 1898}

The village of Fenwick shows much improvement and increase in size. Several new business additions have been made and a large number of commodious and beautiful residences have been erected during the past year.

The Methodist church, which was first erected in 1860 is being thoroughly rebuilt. A large T shaped addition is being built at the rear, and a basement is being placed under the auditorium. The foundation and the basement will be of stone from Rockway, Louth township, quarries, and the church proper will be veneered with brick from Hooker’s yards, Welland. The buiding, when completed, will be a lasting monument to the village. The Methodist body here numbers some 200 members and theirs is the only church in the village. The building will be lighted by acetylene gas. W.F. Haist, Fenwick, mason and Ryan & Cook, woodworkers, have the contracts.

A. L. Pattison has rebuilt his residence adjoining his store, and thereby made a very neat abiding place.

John Gladwin, a carpenter and builder has erected for himself a very neat and handy residence, which also adds greatly to the appearance of the village.

Wm. Ryan, also a builder, has put up for himself a new residence on Canboro  street. It was built last fall and when fully completed will be an up-to-date home and quite cosy.

C.J. Sloat has erected on his seven acre garden farm a very tasty home. It is of modern appearance and stands out very prominently.

Dr. Birdsall has converted his barns and outbuildings into more convenient and suitable shape and arrangement. The doctor has one of the prettiest residences and lawns to be seen in a long drive. It is nicely terraced, while here and there hedges and ornamental shrubs are placed in striking effect.

Altogether this thrifty little village is moving along with the steady growth of Canada, and the citizens take great pride I the improvements.

Dr. Graham Albery Jordan (1898-1961)

{Compiled by “S”}

Dr. Graham Albery Jordan was born September 1, 1898 in Meaford, Ontario. His parents were Alexander Austus Jordan and Annie Albery Jordan.

Dr. Jordan graduated from the University of Toronto in 1920.

During World War I he was surg, sub-Lieut, May 1918; R.N. hospital, Hasler June 1918; H.M.S.,’Vanquisher’, July 1918., 20th Flotilla, North Sea.

Dr. Jordan came to Wellandport in 1920’s to practice medicine.

He married Margery MacLaren Mayhew on February 14, 1928. She was age 23 from Port Arthur.

Their son Graham Alexander Bruce Jordan was born September 12, 1931 in St Catharines.

In 1934 the family moved to Fonthill. Dr. Jordan set up practice at Dr Emmett’s former home at 26 Canboro Road, west.

In 1946 Dr. Jordan built a larger modern home and had the old house moved to face Churchill St, where it was converted to apartments.

According to “The Herald, June 27, 1967”

“During the  1940’s and 50’s Dr. Jordan took extensive courses in New York, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal, which led to his certification as a surgeon, by the Royal College of Physcians and Surgeons of Canada, in 1953. He practiced until felled by a stroke in 1958. He recovered fully and resumed his practice in the spring of 1959, and continued until his death in October 1961. At his death, his practice was taken  over by his son Graham B. Jordan B.A. M.D.

Graham A.B. Jordan received his early education in Fonthill Public School, Pelham High School and Upper Canada College. Later receiving his BSc (1953) and his M.D. (1957) at the University of Western Ontario.

Dr. Graham interned at Buffalo General Hospital, later spending his residency in Surgery at Montreal General Hospital, Charlotte Memorial Hospital North Carolina..”

Dr. Graham B. Jordan Returned to take over his father’s practice and remained until his death in 1979.

He had a pilot’s licence, as his dad had one as well.

During the 1970’s  Dr. Jordan volunteered his services for the Indian Population in Armstrong, Ontario.

The family is buried in the Fonthill cemetery.


[Welland Tribune, 15 July 1898]

Levi Sherk called on Welland county friends last week, having just returned from a trip across the ocean, in which Mrs. Sherk was also a participant. Mr. Sherk had a pleasant and interesting trip through England and Scotland, but his ocean experiences were not agreeable. He was seasick once going over and once returning, but unfortunately each attack lasted from the time he left one shore until he reached the other. He thinks another trip across the ocean would kill him, and in fact the ship’s doctor advised him never to cross again, advice however which friend Levi says is wholly unnecessary, as he would not attempt to cross again for a fortune. Mrs. Sherk proved a better sailor and stood the trip well.


[Welland Tribune, 7 June 1898]

Samuel McGuire, a much respected citizen of Welland, died at his home on Dennistoun street on Saturday, aged 40 years. Deceased has been a constant sufferer from complicated diseases of the stomach and lungs for the last nine months and patiently bore his many troubles. Every attention from loving relatives and friends was given to alleviate his suffering and his end was peaceful. Mr. McGuire had no enemies but was highly respected by all and every citizen who knew him mourns his death. His death was the first in a family of seven children. Deceased leaves a widow, whose attention to him was unremitting, a son, Harry, aged eleven years, and daughter, Mamie, aged eight years, to mourn him The funeral was held yesterday at the R.C. Church, Rev. Father  Trayling celebrating requiem high mass. The pall-bearers were: Sheriff Smith, Peter McKinley, John Dowd, David Ross, Garret Carpenter and John Bayne. “Requiescat in pace.”

Died: 4 June 1898



[Welland Tribune, 15 July 1898]

The township of Wainfleet and county of Welland has lost one of its best known and most highly respected residents in the death of David Campbell of Marshville, who departed this life yesterday, July 14th, in the 72d year of his age. Mr. Campbell was in his usual health up to May 21, when he caught a severe cold, terminating in lung disease and death.

He had been a resident of Marshville about 30 years, previous to that living in Thorold township. He leaves a widow, daughter of late Andrew Hansel of Thorold township, and two sons and six daughters, viz: Mrs. W.L. Felker of St. Anns, Mrs. J. Stewart of Thorold, Mrs. T. Phelps of Wainfleet, Mrs. M.W. Bridgman of Fort William and Mrs. W.C. Braun and Mrs. E.E. Misener of Wainfleet. The sons are B.A. and Angus of Wainfleet.

Deceased was a Conservative in politics and in religion a member of the Church of England. He held the highest esteem of all who knew him, and by his unvarying courtesy and hospitality enjoyed the warm friendship of a very wide circle, who will deeply regret their loss in his demise.

The funeral will be held on Saturday from his late residence at 2 o’clock p.m. Service at Christ church, Marshville, interment at Morgan’s Point cemetery.