Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

Results for ‘Doctors’

Doctors

[History of the Village of Fonthill The Fonthill Women’s Institute, 1944]

Again looking over the years, we find the name of our first doctor, John Fraser, who left quite a record in various ways.He is said to have selected many of the books for the Library and held the office of  President in 1859. He was an M.P. which brings to mind that even a small village like Fonthill has given two members to our  House of Commons in Ottawa, the second being the late A.B. Damude, who was a member at the time of his death.

Dr J.O. Emmett was our next physician, coming to Fonthill in 1865 and carrying on an extensive practice until his death in 1914. Dr H.L. Emmett, his son, graduated from Toronto University in 1908. In 1909, during a diphtheria epidemic, he associated himself with his father and they carried on together for five years, until the death of the former. Dr Harry continued the practice until his death in 1933, thus covering together a period of sixty-eight years. During his entire life as a physician, Dr Harry was very keenly interested in all matters pertaining to the improvement of our village, and it was due to increasing endeavor on his part that we now have our waterworks system and beautiful cemetery.

Dr  John Hansler, son of Andrew Hansler, came here in October, 1881, fresh from college where he was a gold medalist. He located in one of the  fine residences on the hill-top, then owned by John Willson, and pictured in the afore mentioned Atlas. He carried on a practice here for many years until his death in April 1924.

The home was then purchased by his nephew, John Stirtzinger, who occupies it at the present time.

Dr F. Myers was born in the town of St Mary’s, where his father and grandfather owned and operated extensive woolen mills. Two years after his graduation, Dr Myers came to Fonthill (1924) establishing his first office in the eastern end of the hotel. In 1929  he married Mary Davidson and had his home and office above the Bank while building their fine home on North Pelham Street, where he practiced until enlisting for service in the R.C.A.M.C..

Dr Graham Jordan bought the old Emmett home and office in 1934, coming here from Wellandport, where he had practiced since graduation. At the present time, he is our only physician, and a very busy one, especially so due to the number of doctors entering the armed forces.

Dr. J.O. Emmett

[History of the Village of Fonthill. The Fonthill Women’s Institute, 1944]

Dr J.O. Emmett’s forefathers came from Delaware, shortly after the Revolutionary War, settling in Homer with so many other U.E. Loyalists.

Their farm was situated where the new St Catharines Cemetery is located. Dr Emmett attended the St Catharines Collegiate, and when a child I have heard him say many times that in winter he and his brothers used to run most of the way to school and home again, a distance of two miles, to keep warm, overcoats being a luxury for farmers in those days.

From high school he went to New York, where he completed his medical education in two years, graduating from the New York Homeopathic College in 1863. After a year at Bellview Hospital in New York, he returned home to Canada.

He immediately looked around for a suitable place for a young doctor to establish himself and settled on Fonthill , where he came in May, 1865. It was a very hard struggle at first, having to make his calls on foot, then came a horse, which he used to ride, and next and last his faithful horse and buggy in summer, changing to a team and cutter in winter, by which methods he used to travel far and wide for the whole of his forty-nine years’ practice.It was a familiar sight to see the old doctor in winter, with a huge Scotch shawl wrapped in his own peculiar style around his head and shoulders to keep out the cold, start out for a long drive through the country with the temperature well below zero and the roads often blocked with snow.

A “Country Doctor” in those days was also counselor and friend and to show the esteem in which he was held by his practicing colleagues, the Welland County Medical Association had planned holding a testimonial banquet for him to celebrate his fiftieth anniversary in the profession.Death intervened however, and in April 1914, Dr J.O. Emmett was laid to rest, mourned by the whole countryside.

Dr. Robert Hamel de la Matter (1824-1899)

Dr. Robert Hamel de la Matter (1824-1899)

[Compiled by ‘S’]

Robert was born March 18, 1824 on the south side of Tice Road near Centre Street in Pelham. The original home was destroyed  by fire

The de la Matters were originally French Hugenots. The family name was spelled several ways.

Claude de Maistre was the first to emigrate to America, settling in New Amsterdam (New York) on Long Island in 1652. His family was raised in what is now Harlem. He was a successful farmer.

Martin de la Mater, father of Robert was a rebel sympathizer at the time of the American Revolution, afterward he immigrated to Canada.

Martin first settled in Canborough and on November 3, 1818 he married Sabina Smith, one of the daughters of Matthew and Mary (Wright) Smith. Matthew Smith was a prominent farmer, millwright and entrepreneur of Canborough.

Martin and Sabina de la Matter had eight children, five were born in Canborough, Cyrus, Ryan A., Eben J, Cornelia and Smith.

Three more were born after they moved to Pelham Ferrand, Peter Morse and Martin.

In 1828 the family located on 200 acres in Pelham on Tice Road.

Sabina died February 10, 1835, then, Martin married Mary Magdalene Vanderburgh born June 20, 1806 she was the daughter of Garret and Catherine Vanderburgh, who lived on a farm in Allanburg, a loyalist grant.

Sabina’s children Ryan, Ferrand and Martin all died in infancy. Cyrus, Eben, Smith and Peter received their education at common schools in Pelham and learned the farm trade here. However they all left Pelham went to the United States and farmed in the Midwest states of Illinois and Iowa.

The children of Martin’s second marriage were Sabina, Henry, Ira, Robert H., Isaac, Mary Emily and Francis Elizabeth.

Martin and Mary Delamatter became prominent members of the Pelham community. Martin was a Officer of the local Militia during the Mackenzie rebellion of 1837. He had one of his barns burned because of the commission.

He was a trustee of the Fonthill Wesleyan Methodist Church and one of the trustees involved in the purchase of land for the North Pelham Cemetery. In 1845.

Martin and Mary sent all of their children to local schools in Pelham and their sons went to university.

Sabina married a lawyer, Alisha Morse and lived in Smithville. Henry was a successful teacher, teaching at Fonthill Grammar School. He also was principal of Welland High School. Also taught in schools in Owen Sound, Wiarton, Colborne, and Williamsville, New York.

Henry married Maria Blaghorne and they had eight children. He died in Toronto after being blind for several years.

Ira graduated from Victoria College in Cobourg, where he was a prize winning essayist. He became a teacher in Fonthill and ran the family farm in Pelham.

Isaac was a trained lawyer, he contracted tuberculosis and died on an overland route to California, at a military post, three weeks after his marriage.

Robert attended Hansler school and the grammar school in Fonthill. He entered the University of Toronto where graduated with a B.A. degree in 1868, receiving a silver medal. He then entered Faculty of Medicine and obtained an M.D degree in 1871, winning a silver medal.

After graduation Robert interned in a hospital on Statten Island, New York. He then moved to Fonthill and practiced with Dr. J. Fraser.

Dr Robert Delamatter then left Fonthill and practiced in Springfield, Ohio and Buffalo , New York before establishing himself in Attercliffe where he resided until his death in 1899.

Robert married a school teacher, Janet Henderson and their daughter Elizabeth Magdalena became a latin teacher at Pelham District High School.

The Delamatter residence is still standing on the south side of Canboro road at the west end of the Attercliffe village.

According to his daughter , the doctor did not have regular office hours, people came to the house at any time. House calls were made on horseback or horse and buggy. He referred surgical patients to Dr G.A. MacCallum of Dunnville. This was the man whose son, William MacCallum became a professor of Pathology at John Hopkins Medical School and wrote a textbook on the subject.

Dr Robert Delamatter died following a stroke in 1899. He is buried at the Riverside cemetery in Wellandport along with his wife Janet and Daughter Elizabeth.

His tombstone can be located on this website  Gallery—cemeteries- Riverside Pt 1 section 7.

Dr. J.C. Cowper

[Souvenir of the Town of Welland, issued August 22, 1902 by the Welland Telegraph, Sears & Sawle, Publishers]

Dr. J.C. Cowper, whose office and handsome residence is on the corner of Muir and Young Streets, is a native of Owen Sound. He obtained an elementary education in the public school of that place, and took an advanced course in the Welland High School, to which town he had then removed. Upon leaving school in 1883, Dr. Cowper studied the drug business in connection with Mr J.H. Burgar and subsequently graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacy. Later he attended Toronto University and graduated therefrom in 1892 and from Victoria College the same year. Here then entered practice in Birmingham, Ala., and was appointed resident physician of the Charity Hospital of that place. Returning to Welland in 1894, he again assumed practice and has continued therein since, and is considered one of Welland’s most popular and enterprising citizens.

Dr. J.W. Schooley, M.D.

[Souvenir of the Town of Welland, Issued August 22, 1902 by the Welland Telegraph, Sears & Sawle, Publishers]

Morally and ethically, the medical fraternity are debarred from the public notoriety accorded public officials or benefactors in general but as this volume is simply and purely a resume of the town of Welland and its denizens, professionally or commercially engaged, it may not be out of place to say that Dr. J.W. Schooley, whose handsome residence is on Division Street, with convenient office located therein, is a native of Welland county, and acquired an elementary education from its public schools, with an advanced course in the high school. Subsequently he attended the University of Vermont at Burlington, from which he graduated in 1862, and was a graduate of Rolph’s School, or medical department of the Victoria University of Toronto in 1863, since which time he has, with but little exception been in practice in Welland. The  doctor has always evinced a very active interest in educational interests, and was for two years an instructor in the High School at Drummondville, and has been chairman of the High School Board of Welland, as also a member of the Public School Board, and is at present health officer of the town. Dr. Schooley is also a member of the Examining Board of the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons and is one of Welland’s most popular citizens, ever ready to aid in the town’s welfare.

Dr. H. Weller, Dentist

[Souvenir of the Town of Welland, Issued August 22, 1902 by the Welland Telegraph, Sears & Sawle, Publishers]

If patience, proficience and a careful attention to the intricacies of a successful dental operation, are the prerequisites of a competent operator, then Dr. H. Weller, whose dental parlors are located over the post office, on Muir Street, is entitled to that distinction. To begin with, the doctor’s apartments are of an inviting nature, from the delightfully cheery reception room to the comfortable chairs in the apartments on either side thereof. Not only this, but the patient is at once placed at ease by the genial doctor’s assurances, for modern dental science has eliminated the terrors attendant upon a dental operation. Then again the quarter of a century’s practice to say nothing of a thorough course of instructions at the Toronto Dental College, and a continual adherence to modern dentistry, has placed Dr. Weller in the foremost ranks of his profession, operative or mechanical dentistry that the doctor is not familiar with, including crown and bridge work, or the manufacture and insertion of artificial teeth. He is supplied with all the modern appliances for the successful accomplishment of satisfactory results. Moreover, the necessity of preserving the natural teeth and gums, to say nothing of clean and  wholesome resperative organs, is of the utmost importance, and if upon the first appearance of decayed teeth or diseased gums, the patient were to consult some reputable dentist like Dr. Weller, much vexatious trouble and expense might be avoided.

Welland County Hospital

[The People’s Press  Tuesday March 2, 1909]

Formal Opening—Addresses by Lt.-Gov Gibson and Others

A large attendance

The Welland County General Hospital has been formally opened, and the dream of the interested ones about two years ago is now an accomplished fact.

The opening took place on Monday afternoon in the presence of a large number of citizens and a goodly number of visitors from the county and St Catharines.

The hour was set for  2.30 and very shortly after that hour the carriage conveying his honor, the Lieutenant-Governor, Col. J.M. Gibson and Dr. Bruce Smith, inspector of public charities ,arrived

His Honor and Dr. Smith were accompanied by Hon. Richard Harcourt at whose home they took luncheon.

It was a very happy opening.

The note of optimism  was clearly heard through all the addresses, the note of optimism and hope.

The men’s ward was turned into an impromptu auditorium for the afternoon, and on the wall at the rear of the platform the Union Jack was seen. In front were palms and decorations.

Read the rest of this entry »

History of the Welland County General Hospital

{Compiled by “S”}

The first hospital was a converted house of Dr. H.D. Cowper, opened in 1906, at the corner of  King(Muir) St and Young St.

There were 2 wards, 4 private rooms, operating room, sterilizing room, and a physician consulting room. As the population of Welland grew so did the need for a real hospital.

The first one completely funded by the public was built in 1908.

In February of 1908 R.W. Bruce-Smith, provincial inspector of hospitals recommended constructing a new building, specially designed to serve as a hospital.

During the early months of 1906 Welland industrial commissioner B.J. McCormick, Dr. H.D. Cowper, medical officer of health ,Dr. J.H. Howell; officials of Plymouth Cordage and members of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire joined together as they set out to provide the Welland county with its very first hospital.

The original board met February 15, 1907, a public meeting was held to discuss the hospital. The proposal was in the handwriting of Louis Blake Duff. Other notable names included Burgar, Colbeck, Griffith, also included leaders who got together to form a provisional hospital board in 1907.

A year later April 6, 1908 the provisional board received its title patent officially creating the new hospital.

Read the rest of this entry »

Dr. Augustus Louis Jukes (1821-1905)

{Compiled by ‘S’}

Augustus Louis Jukes was born October 30, 1821 in Maharashtra, India.

He was the youngest son of Dr. Andrew Jukes, a physician who was an expert on Arabian affaires and served as secretary to the British Embassy in Tehran. Dr. Jukes was  on a special mission to the Court of Persia when he developed cholera and died before seeing his son Augustus.

In 1822 Augustus returned to England with his mother. The family came to Canada in 1834. The family settled on the Six Nations Indian Reserve, stayed here as a pioneer family until 1837 when Augustus returned to England for more education. Augustus returned to Canada in 1840.

About this time the provincial government assumed control of the Welland Canal and embarked on a program to enlarge it. Augustus Jukes first worked as a roadman to Thomas C. Keefer and then as assistant engineer. Here he worked for the next four years. A change of government resulted  in engineering staff being discharged. At this time Augustus Jukes decided to become a physician.

In 1846 Augustus worked as a medical student with Dr. Theophilus Mack of St Catharines. In 1847 he entered King’s College of Toronto and graduated with medical licence in 1849

In 1849  Dr. Augustus Jukes was appointed surgeon to three companies of incorporated militia whose duty it was to maintain order along the Welland Canal. The headquarters of this group was in Port Robinson and it was here that Dr. Augustus Jukes practiced. A directory has Dr. Jukes ,in 1865, as a resident of Port Robinson and a newspaper notice of his practicing from Coleman’s Hotel in Port Robinson.

In 1857 the militia was disbanded., Dr Jukes eventually moved to St Catharines.

Dr Augustus Jukes married Phoebe Adams on June 7, 1848. She was born October 30, 1821 in New Brunswick. Her father was mayor of St Catharines. Her mother was a sister of Hon. William Hamilton Merritt. They had seven children.

DrAugustus Jukes parents were Dr, Andrew Jukes born December 16,1774 in Shropshire, England.

His mother was Georgina Mary Ewart (!775-1856). She  was a godchild of King George III and a relative of Wm. Ewart Gladstone.

They were married November 30,1814 in Paris, France. Dr. Andrew Jukes died November 10,1821 in Iran.

Dr Augustus Louis Jukes wrote prose and poetry and was an excellent speaker. He was elected first president of the medical association of St Catharines and Lincoln..

In 1878 Dr. Jukes ran on the conservative ticket in the federal election. He was defeated and financially ruined..

On January 28, 1882  on the recommendation of John A. MacDonald he was appointed senior surgeon to the North West Mounted Police. Dr. Jukes moved to Toronto. He examined 214 recruits, as senior medical officer, he left Toronto for Fort Walsh, Cypress Hills region of south west Saskatchewan. It took 32 days to travel there.

The following year he was transferred to North West Mounted Police Headquarters in Regina. He made many trips to outposts in the north west.

In 1885 during Louis Riel’s time in jail, Dr. Jukes visited with him and became friendly with him.

Dr. August Jukes was a member off the commission declaring Louis Riel to be sane. Dr Jukes attended the execution of Louis Riel on November 16, 1885 at police barracks in Regina.

Dr. August Louis Jukes died December 3, 1905 in Vancouver, British Columbia. He is buried in Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver, British Columbia

The children of Augustus Louis Jukes.

Caroline Jukes born July 11, 1859. She married Gilbert E. Sanders, they lived in Calgary Alberta.

Andrew Jukes was born September 14, 1857  in Ontario. He married Rose Halse on October 2, 1884 in Brandon Manitoba.

He lived in Vancouver and worked as a banker. They had four children.

Andrew Jukes died November 17, 1922 and buried in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Sub Lieutenant William J. Jukes was born April 3, 1849 in Toronto. He was in the Royal Navy.

He died March 8, 1872 in Bay of Biscay. He is buried in Harrow-on-the-hill, London England.

“In memory of Sub Lieutenant William A. Jukes, R.N. aged 22 years, late of  Her Majesty’s Ship Ariadne, who was drowned at sea, on the eighth of March 1872. Others of a boat crew, in a gallant attempt to save the life of a shipmate who had fallen overboard. This window is erected by his Brother Officers, to record regret at his loss, & warm admiration of his heroic conduct.”

Katherine Jane Jukes was born 1865?  In Ontario. She married George Buchanan Moffatt born December 13, 1854 in Ontario. He joined the North West Mounted Police in 1878. He became inspector in 1883 and superintendent in 1890. He was retired in 1902 due to poor health.He died  on July 4, 1950 in Victoria, British Columbia.

They had one son Kenneth George Moffatt he was laborer, single died March 4, 1926 at age 39 in Sidney, British Columbia.

Hamilton Augustus Jukes was born in Ontario. He married Mary McBean. Hamilton was an engineer. He was commissioned by the Winnipeg & Hudson Bay Railway & Steamship Company to complete a hydrographical survey of the Nelson River in Northern Manitoba during 1882-1883.

During 1900 he was swamp land commissioner in Winnipeg.

Hamilton  Augustus Jukes died January 16, 1933 in St, James , Manitoba, at the age of 80. He is buried in the Elmwood Cemetery in Winnipeg.

Elias Arthur Jukes was born December 4, 1852 in New Brunswick. He was a druggist and worked in the same building as his father in St Catharines

Elias married Alice Maud Mary Birchall on August 12,1891 in York.

Elias Arthur Jukes died February 28, 1930 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Susan Ann Jukes was born December 1856. in St Catharines. She married Paul Harry Marshall November , 1877 in Lincoln. Paul was a druggist. They moved to  British Columbia. He died January 10,1920. in Vancouver.

More References

Glenbow Museum, Archives Located under  Jukes and Sanders families. With photos.

The Queen’s own Rifles of Canada Regimental Museum has The Louis Riel Coroner’s Jury Report.

Dilys Leman,, is the great-great granddaughter of Dr. Augustus Jukes. She wrote a book “The Winter Count” in 2014.

Dr. Graham Albery Jordan (1898-1961)

{Compiled by “S”}

Dr. Graham Albery Jordan was born September 1, 1898 in Meaford, Ontario. His parents were Alexander Austus Jordan and Annie Albery Jordan.

Dr. Jordan graduated from the University of Toronto in 1920.

During World War I he was surg, sub-Lieut, May 1918; R.N. hospital, Hasler June 1918; H.M.S.,’Vanquisher’, July 1918., 20th Flotilla, North Sea.

Dr. Jordan came to Wellandport in 1920’s to practice medicine.

He married Margery MacLaren Mayhew on February 14, 1928. She was age 23 from Port Arthur.

Their son Graham Alexander Bruce Jordan was born September 12, 1931 in St Catharines.

In 1934 the family moved to Fonthill. Dr. Jordan set up practice at Dr Emmett’s former home at 26 Canboro Road, west.

In 1946 Dr. Jordan built a larger modern home and had the old house moved to face Churchill St, where it was converted to apartments.

According to “The Herald, June 27, 1967”

“During the  1940’s and 50’s Dr. Jordan took extensive courses in New York, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal, which led to his certification as a surgeon, by the Royal College of Physcians and Surgeons of Canada, in 1953. He practiced until felled by a stroke in 1958. He recovered fully and resumed his practice in the spring of 1959, and continued until his death in October 1961. At his death, his practice was taken  over by his son Graham B. Jordan B.A. M.D.

Graham A.B. Jordan received his early education in Fonthill Public School, Pelham High School and Upper Canada College. Later receiving his BSc (1953) and his M.D. (1957) at the University of Western Ontario.

Dr. Graham interned at Buffalo General Hospital, later spending his residency in Surgery at Montreal General Hospital, Charlotte Memorial Hospital North Carolina..”

Dr. Graham B. Jordan Returned to take over his father’s practice and remained until his death in 1979.

He had a pilot’s licence, as his dad had one as well.

During the 1970’s  Dr. Jordan volunteered his services for the Indian Population in Armstrong, Ontario.

The family is buried in the Fonthill cemetery.