Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

Dr. Sinclair Holden Glasgow (1855-1906)

Dr. Glasgow was born March 30,1855 at the Stamford farm. His father was William Glasgow born on the same farm. The grandfather, Rev. Samuel Glasgow was born in Scotland and educated for the ministry in Belfast Ireland. He came to Canada prior to the War of 1812 and settled in Stamford.

Dr. Glasgow went to the old school house on Lundy’s Lane, five years at Drummondville graduating with a teachers certificate. He taught for two years. In 1878 he received a licence to practice medicine from University of Toronto. The same year he began a medical practice in Welland.

On March 29, 1888 he married Nancy C. Fortner, born December 1854, from Bertie. They were married in Welland. They acquired a residence on Burgar Street, Welland for a residence and office.. His horses were kept in a barn at the rear.

In 1877 Dr. Glasgow  was Sergeant 2nd Battalion Queen’s own Rifles for Volunteer Militia. In 1882 he was appointed assistant surgeon in the 44th battalion.

Dr. Glasgow was mayor of Welland 1895-96. He served on the high school board, was medical officer of health for Crowland, president of Ontario Medical Council.

In 1885 he received the appointment for jail surgeon of the county of Welland and was the division surgeon for the Grand Trunk Railway and president of the young mens’ Liberal club.

Dr. Glasgow’s mother was Mary Elizabeth Lundy. She was the daughter of James Lundy and granddaughter of William Lundy for whom Lundy’s Lane took its’ name.

It is claimed that Glasgow in Scotland took its name from the ancestors of this branch of the family.

Dr. Sinclair Holden Glasgow died March 13, 1909.

Advertisement from Welland Tribune 1892

Dr. Glasgow corner Burgar and Division streets, Welland. Special attention paid to diseases of females and  children, and to diseases of ear, nose and throat..