Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

WILLIAM CARPENTER: Wm. Carpenter Drowned

[Welland Tribune, 17 October 1890]

The afflicting news was received here on Monday morning of the drowning of Mr. William Carpenter, at Buffalo on Sunday morning. Mr. Carpenter was for many years a resident of Welland and vicinity, having recently moved to Buffalo, where he was engaged as night watch on Hingston & Woods’ dredge No. 5, laying at foot of Clifton ave, Black Rock, at the time of the fatality. On Sunday morning he was missing, and a search soon recovered the body. Apparently he had missed his footing whilst moving about the dredge and fell in, and being unable to swim was drowned. The fact that he had eaten his midnight meal fixes the day and the marks of his finger nails on the sides of the dredge at the water’s edge tells of a desperate but fruitless struggle for life. As there were no marks of violence upon the body accidental drowning was evidently the sole cause of death.

Deceased was a native of Prussia, coming to this country at a very early age, and was 48 years of age at time of his lamented death. He was a respected, industrious, sober citizen, having the esteem and good will of all who knew him. A son of his-a little boy-was drowned at Welland some years ago. Mr. Carpenter leaves a widow and five sons and daughters living who have the sympathy of all in their sudden and irreparable loss. He was a charter member of Welland branch of the C.M.B.A. and his death is the first break in their numbers. His family will receive the sum of $1000 from that society. The funeral took place on Tuesday from the residence of Mr. Wm. Stapf, Welland, to the R.C. church, where the services for the dead were rendered by Rev. Father McIntee; interment in the burial grounds adjoining. There was a very large attendance of sorrowing friends.

GEORGE ROBERT ERSKINE BURGAR

LATE GEORGE R. E. BURGAR

WELLANDS OLDEST SETTLER

[Welland Tribune, 23 May 1890]

              Mr. George R.E. Burgar, the father of Mr. J.H. Burgar of Welland and Dr. Burgar of Niagara Falls, sank quietly to rest at the residence of the latter on Saturday last, at the advanced age of 84 years. We append a sketch of his life learned from his own lips for the county history. He was probably the oldest native resident of the town of Welland up to the time of removing with Dr. Burgar to Niagara Falls, a few months ago. In politics he was a sterling Reformer; in faith and practice a Christian in the truest sense of the word. Governed by the purest principle and adorned with charity and good-will, he was indeed one of nature’s noblemen, and one in whom there was no guile. As a fitting sequel to a well-spent life, death came peacefully and naturally- a mere stoppage of the well-worn wheels of life in the full and confident faith of renewal on that bright resurrection morn of which we are assured. The funeral took place on Tuesday; citizens of Welland very generally attending at the G.T.R. depot, from which the funeral took place at 11.17 to Dawdy’s cemetery, Pelham. Rev. Mr. McCuaig rendered fitting services. The pall bearers were Messrs. David McEwing, J.H. Price, Alex Reid, F. Swayze, G.C. Cowper and John Coulson.

             Whilst his sterling qualities won the true esteem of all who knew him, his warm and loving nature endeared him to those near to him in no ordinary degree, to whom their loss, though in the full fruition of time, is a most sore and distressing bereavement. May comfort and peace be theirs in the blessed assurance of a happy and never-ending reunion in the life to come. 

Biographical Sketch

             GEORGE R.E. BURGAR was born in Thorold township on the 26th day of January 1806. His parents, Joseph and Annie (Rowland) Burgar were natives of New Jersey, of English and Irish descent. His paternal grandmother was a cousin of Lord Nelson, the great English admiral. Joseph Burgar, accompanied by his family,  came to Canada as a U.E. Loyalist during the latter part of the eighteenth century. After spending a couple of years along the Niagara river, they settled in Thorold township, on Lots 238 and 239. Born at that early date and reared on a farm adjacent to the territory now occupied by the town of Welland, our friend now deceased was an observer of the gradual transformation of the wilderness of eighty years ago into the beautiful farms and live town of to-day. He remembered when the territory lying to the south of the Welland river was a solid block of wilderness denser than where the busiest part of the town of Welland is now situated. Within the memory of Mr. Burgar the site of the present town abounded in wolves, bears and other wild beasts, whose howling frequently made night hideous. Our subject remembers well the hardships endured by the early settlers. When a young man he frequently went to Street’s mill at the Falls with a grist. The means of getting there by boat to Chippawa, and from there overland to the mill. The trip was a difficult one, especially returning, when the heavily-laden boat had to be rowed the long distance between the mouth of the Chippawa and Mr. Burgar’s home, often against a strong current. Although young at the time, Mr. Burgar had a distinct recollection of the war of 1812, in which his father, Joseph Burgar, took an active part. During one winter a portion of a company of British regulars was quartered at his farm. Mr. G.R.E. Burgar was himself an active participant in the troubles of 1837-38, in the loyalist ranks. He lived in Norfolk county for a few years, and for a time in the state of Ohio, but the greater portion of his life was spent on the farm on which his father settled in the early days. He married Rachel, a daughter of Andrew Smith, a U.E. Loyalist, and one of the early settlers of Norfolk county. Their family numbered four, of whom two survive-J.H. Burgar, ex-Warden of the county of Welland, and Dr. Burgar, now of Niagara Falls.

 Died: 17 May 1890
Married: 31 August 1835-Rachel Smith

Hillside Cemetery
26 January 1806-17 May 1890
Old Age
Father: Joseph Burgar
Mother: Annie Rowland

TOWN OF WELLAND 1890

Its Growth From the Year of Inception 1788 to the Present Date-Its General Advancement With the Times.

              In the early part of the year 1788 the land, now occupied by the progressive town of Welland, was taken possession of by a few of the United Empire Loyalists, who were a class of men suitable to wrestle with a wooded country. Men who came to make themselves a home in the garden of Canada, and if any one feels inclined to ask, did they succeed?  For reply, they must take a look at the beautiful farms, immediately surrounding the town, the fruitful gardens, and the velvety lawns to be seen in all parts of the town, all at that state of perfection, that can only be got by laborious work and long years of toil.

             In 1829 the town, then a populous village was known as the Aqueduct, but it was not until the year 1842 that it began to go ahead. In that year the government started the enlargement of the canal, and built the first stone aqueduct. This was considered a great engineering enterprise, and in honor of the event, the name of the village was changed to Merrittsville. On the 24th of July 1858, the village was incorporated under the name of the municipality of the village of Welland, and on the 7th day of the same year the present Crown Solicitor, L.D. Raymond, Esq., was appointed returning officer for the first election of members for the council, which took place on the 16th of September 1858. The following members constituted the first board: Messrs. D. McCaw, the only present survivor, M. Betts, Chester Demare, W.A. Bald and N.T. Fitch. At the first meeting of the council the present respected and esteemed clerk, Mr. E.R. Hellems, was appointed clerk, a position that he has nobly and faithfully filled ever since, with the exception of one or two years. Mr. D. McCaw is the pioneer reeve, and although past taking an active part in municipal affairs, it must be with pride that he looks back and sees how his foster child has grown.

             In 1878 the village of Welland was incorporated as a town, and Mr. A. Hendershot was elected the first mayor. The town has been making healthy strides ever since. At the present day it can be well asked, what have these workers left behind as monuments of their ardor, zeal and loyalty to their town? The reply must be given briefly, as space will not permit a full description that each and every object rightly deserves. First there are the schools of which Welland might justly feel proud. The High schools are situated on West Main street, and at the present, time occupies a creditable position among the High Schools of Ontario. The public schools are on Hellems Avenue, and although capable of holding a large number of children, the managers are just now debating as to the advisability of providing additional rooms. The county buildings are an ornament in any town. The walls being of solid stone gives it what it is a thorough substantial appearance. The jailor’s and turnkey’s residences are worthy of special notice, and great credit is due the architect, Mr. Geo. Ross, Esq., P.L.S., for the style and finish of the same. Orient Hall is another handsome structure, the corner stone of which was laid on the 14th of August 1877. Next we come to the various churches, all of which are well attended, receiving liberal support. The Episcopal church is situated on Division street, Methodist church on Muir street, Presbyterian on Bald street, Roman Catholic, Disciples and Baptist on Church street, Lutheran on Griffith street and the Salvation Army barracks is to be found on East Main street. There are several lodges in the town and all are in a flourishing condition. Last year was the brightest in the history of Welland, as on the date of January 1889, Welland was able to boast of having the finest water works system in Canada. The water works committee of which D. Ross, Esq., was chairman, worked hard in pushing the work along against many difficulties and opposition and today they must feel that they have been well paid for their labor, in the grand success of the work. Following this great enterprise, Mr. C.J. Page with indomitable pluck procured the electric light system, using the water which is procured from the raceway, to drive his machinery, which makes the light of the very best, being much steadier than when the machinery is run by steam.

             Welland is now in a position to offer any manufacturing firm advantages to open a factory here not procurable in any other town of its size. There are two lines of railway, another building, besides the canal. Water power can be had suitable for any manufacturing purposes, and the natural gas will be piped here from Port Colborne early in the spring of next year. In closing our few remarks we cannot do better than to ask the readers of the TELEGRAPH to follow the above sketch by reading carefully the brief biography of some of Welland’s leading merchants which will convey to the reader an idea of the rapid growth that the town has made during the past few years:-

BURGAR & DOUGLASS

             A business which is too well and favorably known to need any extended mention in reviewing the town in the popular drug store carried on by Messrs. Burgar & Douglass. This business was founded by the senior member of the firm about 23 years ago. It is now about 6 years age since Mr. Douglass became a partner. The business is still at the fore doing a large and increasing trade, and it is unnecessary for us to say is in the best position to meet the wants of the public. The store is as complete as experience and a thorough knowledge of the business can make it, everything being on hand here to be found in a first-class drug store in pure drugs, Family and patent medicines, druggists’ sundries etc. Mr. Burgar is one of the most active and public spirited of our citizens, and takes a deep interest in matters pertaining to the welfare of the place. He has succeeded in almost every capacity of municipal life.

MRS. R. COOPER

             The millinery business carried on by Mrs. R. Cooper has been longer before the public than any other concern of a similar nature in the county. To retain custom year in and year out-good seasons and bad bespeaks a talent for pleasing the public. This talent it is universally agreed is possessed in a high degree by Mrs. Cooper. Every attention is given to the careful selection of suitable goods for her customers. The leading Canadian and American houses are called on to supply her stock which is never permitted to run down. Thus by handling superior goods and courteously dealing with all, Mrs. Cooper conducts a successful business. Her efforts, we are pleased to say, are appreciated by the public with whom Mrs. Cooper is deservedly a prime favorite.

THOS. CUMINES

             In the drug branch of our mercantile industry a popular and successful business which we deire to give prominence to here is that carried on by Mr. Thos. Cumines. The success this business has met is evidenced in its large and satisfactory trade, and the deserved popularity it enjoys is the result of capable management and offering many possible advantages to the public, an essential feature of a drug store, and one for which this business is noted, is the knowledge to discernment in pure drugs. Every ingredient which enters the composition of drugs here is subjected to the most careful examination before using. The stock is noted for its excellence and embraces pure drugs of all kinds, druggists’ sundries, the leading patent and family medications. Prescriptions are carefully compounded. The business well merits its large trade.

A.R. FINDLAY

             Mr. Findlay has only been in business in Welland for a few months, but during this comparatively short time he has laid the foundation of a well deserved success. He purchased the bakery and grocery business formerly carried on by Mr. Geo. Philips, and occupies the old stand on East Main street. Mr. Findlay is well qualified by experience and ability to make a success of his business. The products of the bakery are of a very superior quality, the finest bread, pastry, etc., being turned out. He has always on hand a choice stock of baker’s sundries, confectionery, fruits, etc. The business is steadily going forward. Mr. Findlay recently started a wood yard and is doing a good fuel business.

 W.N. GARDEN

             An important place on our list of business is occupied by the store of W.N. Garden, Esq. Mr. Garden was one of Welland’s first business men, and has always occupied a prominent place in their ranks. His stock comprises a complete assortment of groceries, hardware, etc. It is worthy of note that Mr. Garden has a widespread reputation for never handling anything but first-class goods. Groceries purchased from him are always fresh and good, and his other lines are of the highest order of excellence. The office of the C.P.R. Telegraph Co. is in the store under the management of Mr. W. N. Garden.

THOMAS GRIFFITH

             In our list of business men Mr. Thos. Griffith deserves special mention. He is one of the pioneers of the town and his business has witnessed the growth of the place from an early date in its history, and has, we may say, kept in the van of progress, while he has done a full share in the line of substantial improvements. The store is located in the eastern part of the block owned by himself, and is known far and wide as “China Hall.” That it is a business creditable to the town, and the enterprise of the proprietor no one will deny. It is always a pleasure to visit the store and inspect the really excellent display of goods seen here not surpassed in the whole Niagara Peninsula. Chinaware, glassware, crockery, etc., in all the latest styles from the best foreign and domestic markets are here. There is also in connection a well equipped grocery department. As it is impossible to fully describe the goods, we would advise our readers to see for themselves. Mr. Griffith is a life long member of the Methodist church and one of the most active temperance workers in the county.

O.H. GARNER

             One of the most active and successful of the business young men of the town is the gentleman named above. His store is creditable to his enterprise, and to the town, and is in possession of a large trade. It is not surpassed in point of general equipment, excellence and completeness of stock etc., in the whole Niagara Peninsula. It is now some 13 years ago since Mr. Garner came to Welland, commencing as clerk in the business he is now proprietor of. His success has been the result of push and business ability. His store offers many advantages to purchasers. He is a competent buyer and handles none but first-class goods. It would be impossible to innumerate here all the different lines handled. Books, stationery, school supplies, fancy goods, wall paper, etc. In short everything to be found in an establishment of the kind is here. Mr. Garner is manager of the G.N.W. Telegraph Co. at this place. Agent for a number of the leading ocean steam boat lines, and Grand Trunk ticket agent, in connection with which he runs a bus and baggage transfer. We would note also that all information about travelling is always cheerfully given, and it will pay to obtain tickets from him. Taking all in all Mr. Garner is a hustler and deserves his success.

J.H. HODGES

             The excellently equipped store of the enterprising grocer named above, deserves special mention in our business notices. To those of our readers who may not be customers of Mr. Hodges we would say just give his place a trial. It is evident that he neglects nothing that would in any way benefit his patrons. He buys carefully, handles nothing but first-class goods, and his stock is always found fresh and complete. The grocery side has everything in the line of fine family groceries, provisions, fruits, etc., and the crockery department contains a splendid display of china and glassware, crockery etc. Remember fair dealing is the motto of this business.

S. HAYS

             To make a good photographer a man must have both natural talent and wide experience. These two qualities are admirably combined in Mr. S. Hays. Some years ago Mr. Hays located in Welland and gave good satisfaction to all his patrons. But he was satisfied with nothing short of absolute perfection, and determined to continue professional studies in some of the most modern and improved studios in the west, in St. Paul and other places. He returned to Welland about three years ago and immediately resumed his old position as the people’s favorite photographer. His products are of all sizes and descriptions, but are alike in one thing, and that is the excellence which uniformly distinguishes them. In competition he has always come out far ahead of his rivals and easily stands at the head. Mr. Hays is an enthusiast in his art and well deserves his success. Further we would call attention to Mr. Hay’s specialty which is a magnificent production and hardly ever obtained outside the cities. Being taken from the original it is much superior to an enlarged picture and is of a size very suitable for framing in a 16×20 frame.

G.B. KNOWLES

             Next in our review we will denote space to a reference to the popular business of Mr. G.B. Knowles. It is now about four months since Mr. Knowles established, and judging from the staff that has been made he will be successful in building up an extended patronage. Mr. Knowles is thoroughly practical and experienced, and is in the best position to meet the wants of the public. He has on hand an excellent stock which is well and carefully bought. Anything obtained here is genuine, and he is determined not to be undersold in the county. The stock embraces fine gold and silver, watches, clocks of great variety, jewelry of all descriptions, fancy goods etc. Special attention is given to repairing. The business is deservedly popular. Spectacles is a specialty.

D. McCAW & SON

             Our review would be very incomplete without reference to Welland’s oldest established boot and shoe business. Mr. D. McCaw commenced business here over 40 years ago, and consequently has seen the rise and growth of the town. The present successful condition of his business is owing to the careful attention he has given it, and his thorough knowledge of the same. The firm of D. McCaw & Son was formed about 10 years ago. The store is noted for its substantial bargains. To be convinced of this we would advise our readers to inspect the stock for themselves.

L.H. PURSEL & CO.

             The head of this well-known tailoring and gent’s furnishings establishment, Mr. L.H. Pursel has been an active and successful business man of Welland for the last 7 years. The present firm and successors to Pursel Bros., the change having taken place about a year ago. The steady growth and advancement of the business since its inception shows what can be accomplished by energy and a thorough knowledge of the business conducted. At this store the public find every advantage. It is always up with the times and customers are assured of getting the best value. The large and excellent stock of imported and domestic goods will suit the taste and means of every patron, while the mechanical department is kept to a high standard, Mr. Pursel being a cutter of more than ordinary ability. It is a magnificently furnished store throughout. The stock of gent’s furnishing goods, hats, caps and furs, is very complete and well selected.

C.J. PAGE

             One of the largest businesses in the town is Mr. C.J. Page’s store in Orient Block. It was in 1875 that Mr. Page made a start for himself in the grocery line, and by his business thrift he soon pushed himself to the front. As time advanced he kept adding to his stock until today he carries one of the heaviest and best assorted stocks in the county. His lines include groceries, hardware, glassware etc. The goods are all of superior quality being selected from both home and foreign dealers by Mr. Page himself. It is however not only to the quality of his goods, but also to his courteous treatment of all, that we may assign the flourishing state of his business. Personally Mr. Page is well known in the vicinity, and has done much to advance the interest of the town. It is entirely owing to him that we have electric light, and he was one of the first agitators for waterworks.

 PITTS’ WOOL DEPOT

             Mrs. E.A. Pitts is the owner of a flourishing woolen mill at St. John’s and conducts in this town a branch store, and also a store in St. John’s, where the products of the mill are sold. It always means a saving of money to buy here. The goods are of known excellent quality, and embraces all kinds of woolen goods as flannels, blankets etc. The business it is needless to say is largely patronized.

PURSEL & GORDON

             Messrs. Pursel & Gordon who are among our foremost merchants established the general dry goods business now carried on by them about a year ago. Both members of the firm had been long and favorably known to the community which probably accounts in some degree for the cordial reception which the advent of the firm has met from the public. Mr. D.R. Pursel had seen much business life in various parts of Ontario, serving five years in a large wholesale house, giving him great experience as a close buyer. He was for a number of years a member of the firm of Pursel Bros. He is an energetic capable merchant. Mr. T. Gordon has also valued mercantile experience and is well known in this vicinity through long connection as head salesman with Messrs. Ross & Co. The firm are eminently capable of meeting the wants of the people. Their store is creditable to themselves and to the town. It is equipped with a large and well selected stock, bought direct from the manufacturer and leading wholesale houses, and the aim is always to handle a first-class stock, embracing everything in the line of staple and fancy dry goods, paying particular attention to dress goods and ladies’ wear of all kinds. Also carpets and house furnishings. Every department is always found complete, and it pays to inspect the stock. This store is the only one furnished with cash carriers.

C.H. REILLY

             The gentleman whose business is the subject of this sketch has been established in Welland about 10 years. Engaged in the boot and shoe trade, he has by every possible effort endeavored to raise his business to the highest standard of excellence, and we believe it is only simple justice to say, that he carries one of the best assorted stocks to be found in Welland county. Mr. Reilly during his many years of experience has made himself acquainted with the best makers, and handles nothing but first-class goods. All the latest styles and most approved makers of boots and shoes from the ladies finest French kid to the mens’ and boys’ heavier wear is here. The business has thus built up an enviable reputation and so long as Mr. Reilly continues to conduct his business in its present manner he is sure of a large and increasing patronage.

ROSS & CO.

             In putting before the public an edition of the TELEGRAPH descriptive of the business interests of Welland, a business that will come in for a prominent mention is the well known and popular general store of Messrs. Ross & Co. During the long period this business has been before the public, it is unnecessary for us to say it has had extensive dealings with the people of the surrounding country, and it has merited a marked influence in stimulating the volume of business, and in drawing trade to the town. In this establishment the citizens of Welland and people of the section generally, have the advantages of a general store, which offers to the public all the advantages to be had in the cities. The business has been before the public 15 years. It is conducted with the aid of wide mercantile experience. The large stock which fills the store is bought direct from the manufacturer and best foreign and domestic markets. It affords many inducements in rarity and selection of goods and the reputation of the firm is a sufficient guarantee that nothing is handled but reliable goods. We have not space to describe the various departments which embrace staple and fancy dry goods, ready made clothing, hats and caps, gents’ furnishings, carpets, lace curtains and general house furnishings, boots and shoes, etc. Every department is complete. The annual turn over of goods is extensive. Mr. Ross is one of those self made men who by industry and honesty has forged his way to the front. When he landed in this country at the age of 13, his capital was 50 cents. He came to Welland 15 years ago. He is now mayor of the town, and one of the most substantial business men of the county.

H.A. ROSE

             A business which has for a number of years occupied a foremost position in the mercantile interests of Welland is that of the above named, well known gentleman, general merchant. By offering to the public the advantages which this store affords, there is no doubt but it has exerted a marked influence in drawing trade to the town. The public find here one of the largest and best assorted stocks in the county. It is purchased from the best foreign and domestic markets. An experienced merchant well acquainted with the leading, wholesale houses of the Dominion, Mr. Rose keeps himself well posted in the changes of the market and buys to an advantage. Our readers are too familiar with his establishment to need reference here. The commodious double store is completely filled on the west side with staples and fancy dry goods of all kinds, carpets and general house furnishings, as floor oil cloths, window shades, wall papers, etc. The east side is devoted to the following lines: mens’ and boys’ clothing, hats and caps, gents’ furnishings, trunks, valises and a large and well selected stock of groceries, farm produce, bought and sold. This department is in charge of Mr. N.C. Morgan, who is well and favorably known. The business is deservedly popular.

W.F. SECORD

             The above gentleman is one of the most recently established of our business men. A few months ago he bought the liquor store formerly carried on by Mr. H.A. Willett, and is conducting it in a manner as to merit the patronage of the public. Mr. Secord gives particular attention to one thing especially, and that is, to selecting nothing but genuine goods in the purchase of his stock. One can always rely upon anything obtained from him. Wines and liquors of all kinds are handled, and a superior is kept for medicinal purposes.

MRS. JAMES TUCKEY

             The long established, well known and popular jewelry business of Mrs. James Tuckey has for a number of years represented this line of business in Welland. It has always engaged a large patronage, and the high appreciation entertained of it by the public is the result of its competent management and reputation it has acquired for offering substantial bargains. The business is well known in respect of handling reliable and superior goods. Snide jewelry is not cheap at any price, and never finds a place in this stock which is bought direct from the importer and leading wholesale houses. The customer finds here fine gold and silver watches of the best makes, clocks of greatest variety, jewelry of all descriptions, fancy goods etc. Mr. W.R. Parker, by whom the business is managed, has had long experience in the jewelry line, both in the wholesale and retail branches. He is a very competent workman and satisfaction is guaranteed on all kinds of repairing.

J.B. TAYLOR

             To deal at a grocery store like that of Mr. J.B. Taylor’s is an indication to say the least of good taste. We are led to say this from the fact that a neat, well supplied and attractive store should have the preference. A customer here feels more assured of getting choice goods. This accounts for the large patronage which Mr. Taylor’s business enjoys. It is in every respect a model grocery, and always leads in the matter of being up with the times. It is Mr. Taylor’s chief case to have his business all that could be desired. The stock is selected by him so that it may be relied upon. Choice family groceries of all kinds, provisions, fruits, vegetables, crockery, glass and chinaware, etc., fill the place.

M. WHALLEY & CO.

             A tailoring establishment that always gives satisfaction is a credit to its manager. Mr. Whalley may be pardoned for any pride he feels in that line. His stock comprises the pick of direct importations and the leading wholesale dealers. Every conceivable kind of cloth may be found on his shelves. He turns out such pants, coats, vests, overcoats, etc., as you may see turned out by the tailors of the leading cities. Then he shows you a stock of gents furnishings that will almost make a well dressed gentleman out of you in spite of yourself.  Everything is here, the latest tie, a new wrinkle for a collar, the fanciest of silk handkerchiefs, the best of braces, the finest hose, anything you need to be well dressed. Now all this could not be done unless Mr. Whalley were a man of exceptional good taste. That is just the case, and that is why he enjoys so large a share of patronage. He has been in Welland several years, and at present enjoys the results of steady growing popularity.

 Welland Telegraph

8 August 1890