Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

TWOHEY-STULL

[Welland Tribune, 21 August 1903]

A quiet but pretty wedding took place at the church of the Immaculate Conception, Buffalo, N.Y., on Wednesday morning, Aug. 19th inst., when James E. Twohey, Phm. D., of Buffalo (formerly of Port Colborne} and Miss Diana F. Stull of Rockwood, Ont., were united in the holy bonds of matrimony.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Donahue.

The charming and accomplished bride was handsomely attired in silk batiste over taffeta silk, with a large picture hat, and carried a bouquet of bridal roses. The bridesmaid was Miss Louise Fahey of Buffalo, who was charmingly attired in green silk crepe de chene, with a black picture hat and carried a bouquet of American beauties.

The groom was assisted by Mr. Frederick Rice of Buffalo, N.Y. After a sumptuous wedding breakfast at the Iroquois hotel, Mr. and Mrs. Twohey left for Muskoka and other points north, carrying with them the best wishes of a host of friends. Mr. and Mrs. Twohey will be at home after Sept., 15th at 290 Pennsylvania street, Buffalo.

JOHN TEWSLEY

Wainfleet News

[Welland Tribune, 12 December 1903]

A very sudden death occurred on Sunday morning, when John Tewsley, sr., was quickly called from this life. Deceased was in his usual health up to within one hour before he expired. When he arose in the morning he complained of not resting good through the night, and suffered a severe pain in his side, and in an hour’s time was cold in death. His death removes one of the old settlers. He came here from Effingham about forty years ago. He leaves four sons –Richard L. of Dunnville, David of Forks Road, John of Sherbrooke and Chauncey at home; and four daughters, Mrs. Zenas Marr, Forks Road; Mrs. James Hicks, Pelham; Mrs. Maddock of Buffalo and Mrs. Stephen Jones of Forks Road to mourn the loss of a kind father. The remains were interred in Marr’s cemetery, Forks, Road. His wife predeceased him about ten months ago. Deceased enjoyed the respect and good will of this community.

Dr. John Phillips

{Welland Tribune 1903}

Dr. John Phillips, recently of Toronto, left on Monday for Cleveland, after spending a few holidays at his old home here. John’s many friends will be pleased to learn that he has received a better offer in his profession than that announced some weeks ago. He goes to the Lakeside Hospital, Cleveland, and was to have taken a position as assistant in the surgical department, but has since been asked to go in as chief assistant in the medical department.

Dr Jehoida Wesley Schooley (1837-1907)

Dr. J.W. Schooley was the first doctor to practice in Welland. He was born in 1837  Bertie township.

Asa Schooley, Dr. Schooley’s grandfather came to Canada from New Jersey in 1788 as United Empire Loyalist. Asa was given a crown grant of 200 acres, located where Cherry Hill Golf course is . His son Benjamin married and had 12 children, one of whom became a doctor. Dr. J.W. Schooley was born March 29,1837. He became a teacher, taught in Port Colborne, Gravelly Bay, Drummondville High School and became an inspector of schools. In 1858

He entered Medical school in Toronto, also attended medical school in Vermont, returned to medical school in Toronto and graduated in 1863. He came to Welland, then spent 18 months practicing medicine in Minnesota. In 1863 Welland had about 900 residents.

In 1863 Dr. Schooley married Sarah E. Baxter, born in 1837, from Bertie. They had two daughters. Elizabeth born 1868 and Maude born February 17, 1872.

Elizabeth J. Schooley married William James Elliott June 13, 1896 in Welland. He was a lawyer, they settled in Toronto.

Alice Maude Schooley married Edwin Norton Gunsanlus July 6, 1910. He was a member of the United States Consulate.

An adopted son, Roy Dunlop Schooley born April 13, 1889. He married Flora M. Schooley born in Pennsylvania in 1887. In 1930 they were living in Pennsylvania.

Dr. J.W. Schooley served on the public and high school boards, he was a coroner,  medical officer of health and physician to the Welland county jail.

He had an assistant Dr. J. Kennedy in 1877 and then joined by Dr. Burgar.

1899-1902 Dr, Schooley was an examiner for colleges of physicians and surgeons.

In 1879 Dr Schooley lived at 33 Fraser St. Welland. He built the Schooley Apartments on Division Street where he lived and practiced.

Dr. J.W. Schooley died June 4, 1907 in Welland of dilatation of the heart. His wife Sarah E. Baxter Schooley died May 26, 1907. She had paralysis. They died 9 days apart.

They are buried in Fairview Cemetery in Niagara Falls.

[Welland Tribune 1892]

Dr. Schooley—office and residence on Division street, Welland. Next east of Commercial Hotel. Specialties—Diseases of women and diseases of the chest.

[Welland Tribune 1903]

Dr. Schooley—office and residence , Division street, first door east of Roach’s hotel, Welland. Specialties: Diseases of women and diseases of the chest.

Dr Jacob Harrison Howell

[Welland Tribune,  1891]

Dr. Howell, while driving up Division street Monday noon, had an exciting runaway experience. While he was driving past Dr. Hutton’s residence the shafts on the cutter dropped on the horse’s heels, frightening the animal, which bolted. The doctor hung on while the horse went over the bridge and up Ball street. When just opposite Mr. Swartz’s residence the doctor steered the horse into a tree and brought the cutter to a standstill, but the horse broke loose and ran some distance farther. The doctor was thrown out but beyond a severe shaking up received no serious injury. The cutter was damaged but the horse was unhurt.

[Welland Tribune, August 1903]

Dr. Howell and son Harry returned home on Saturday evening, after spending a couple of weeks in Muskoka. Mrs Howell and daughter Doris will remain in Muskoka till the end of the month.

[Welland Tribune,  1904]

Dr. J.H. Howell, M.B. Toronto University, M.C.P.S.O. Office and residence, corner Fraser and Bald Streets, west side Welland. Jail Surgeon County of Welland.

[Welland Tribune, 1909]

Applications were received from Drs Davis and Howell for the vacant office of medical health officer.

[Welland Tribune, 1921]

Dr. J.H. Howell, Welland—Office and residence, corner Bald and Fraser Sts. Opposite Presbyterian Church. Office hours 8 to 9a.m., 1 to 3 and 7 to 8 p.m.

FREDERICK AUGUSTIN HUTT

[Welland Telegraph, 20 February 1903]

F.A. Hutt, clerk of Stamford township, died suddenly of heart failure Tuesday evening. He had been clerk for 21 years, and during that time he had been absent from only one meeting of the council, that of Monday last week.

Died: 17 February 1903

SENATOR MCCALLUM DEAD

Dr. Glasgow Proposed as his Successor

[Welland Tribune, 16 January 1903]

Elsewhere in this paper is a report of the demise of the late Senator McCallum of Stromness.

This district is entitled to the succession in this case, and the Tribune has pleasure in proposing Dr. Glasgow of Welland for that position.

Dr. Glasgow is a life-long Liberal. Although proposed as a Liberal candidate for the County on several occasions he has always given way for others, whom he supported as heartily as he would have sought his own election had he been the party nominee.

He has been actively and prominently associated with the 44th Regt., for years, and is now a Major of the Second Dragoons.

Recently he was re-elected without opposition for a second term as member of the Ontario Medical Council, for the large and important district comprising the counties of Welland, Lincoln, Haldimand, Brant and the cities of St. Catharines and Brantford.

The doctor’s appointment to the Senate would be popular and acceptable throughout the whole district, and it is to be hoped the Government will take this view of it.

We believe we are correct in saying that this large and important section of Ontario, known as the Niagara District, is now without a representative in the Senate of the Dominion. To allow this to continue would be a manifest injustice.

THE KINDERGARTEN

[Welland Tribune, 20 January 1903]

The Tribune:

Enquiring about the kindergarten agitation, appears to show it is not to organize one, as there has been one here for some time, but to foist the expense on the taxpayer to relieve the parents from paying for their children’s education. Now it would be well enough if the town could afford it, but the fact is that Welland is about taxed to death, a straight tax of 27 mills and going higher and higher each year, add to this street watering and water rates, which might be called an indirect tax, brings the tax up in some cases to about fifty mills, and some are now wishing to make this higher.

It is claimed some money could be saved by starting the Model school. Why not do so and give the taxpayers a breathing spell, but don’t save some money and then spend three or four times as much; that will not reduce the taxes. With our excellent public schools free even to furnishing paper, ink, etc., without charge, would it not seem the parents are well treated and might afford to take care of their children until of school age.

If the town furnishes room heated, use of piano, etc., the parents should pay the balance. It is stated the kindergarten would relieve the public school. How so? Would they take children from the public school and put them in the kindergarten? Would that not be moving backward?

An advertisement is now appearing stating that the balance of last year’s taxes are to be collected by law. Is this not the wrong time to increase the taxes? Welland town has many advantages but high taxes but high taxes are keeping it back; you cannot induce a laboring man to purchase property on account of high taxes.

A nice residence has just been sold on East Main street; the taxes on it will be about $100 per year. Our taxes are 50 higher than Toronto and cities are supposed to be taxed higher than towns.

Is it any wonder you cannot get moneyed men to invest in property. Our school taxes are very high and must be for many years until we get our new school house paid for.

If the trustees act accordingly to the wishes of the majority they will let those who want a kindergarten pay for it.

Be pleased to hear from others.

Welland Taxpayer

CAPT. WM. LIVINGSTONE

[Welland Telegraph, 20 February 1903]

Capt. Wm. Livingstone, a former resident of Welland town, died in St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, on Thursday, Feb. 12th, in the 42rd year of his age. Death was caused from the effects of typhoid fever, from which the deceased had been a sufferer for about two months.

Capt. Livingston was born in Thorold Township, County of Welland, Oct. 11, 1861, and was for many years a resident of the town of Welland, going from here to Toronto fourteen years ago and has resided there ever since, being engaged by the city as captain of the steam pump Daniel Lamb. He leaves a wife and two daughters; Clara, aged 8 years, and Juanetta, aged 6 years, an aged mother and sister living in Allanburg, and four brothers: J.M., of Welland, George of Toronto, Jacob and Elisah of Minnedsa, Man., and other relatives to mourn the loss of one who was ever kind and faithful in all walks of life. The funeral took place on Saturday, Feb. 14th, from his late residence, 8 Brant Place, and was attended by a large number of friends. There were many floral tributes of esteem, among others were “Gates Ajar,” from his mother, sister, and brothers; Pillow from his wife and daughters; Anchor from Mesdames Dent, Davison, Hay, Smith, Farquharson, and Miss Hay; Wreaths from City Yards, I.O.F. 450, and Misses Farquharson, Davison and Dent; Sheaf from Mrs. Rhoda Walsh and Mr. and Mrs. Parker; Shower bouquets from Miss Mabel, Bertie and John Livingstone, niece and nephews of deceased; Nancy Respin, Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson, Mrs. Thompson Worsley, Mr. and Mrs. Kerr, Mr. and Mrs Butler and Mr. and Mrs. Merrill. The friends from a distance were Mrs. Livingston, and Mr. and Mrs. Skinner, Allanburg; Mr.  and Mrs. J.M. Livingston, Welland; Mr. and Mrs. Walsh, Chamburg; Miss Walsh, Chicago and Miss Walsh, Newmarket. The pall bearers were chosen from I.O.F. No. 450, of which deceased was a member. The Rev. C.V. Johnson of the Queen Street Methodist Church conducted services at the house and grave. Interment in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery.

EDWIN BURKE

[Welland Tribune, 14 August 1903]

              Edwin Burke, one of the most filthy and ragged looking specimens that has struck town in a long time, got awfully drunk and profane on the street Wednesday night. When Chief Forde placed him under arrest there was a perfect flood of probably the worst language heard on the streets of Welland in years. The chief was also called by every abusive phrase a thoroughbred bum could call him. Burke was locked up and his rantings could be heard on the street for a long time afterward. When he appeared before the magistrate yesterday morning he was meek as a lamb and his tongue was just as free in dispensing blessings on the magistrate and the chief as it had been in forming oaths the night before. He claimed a great history, was an English army pensioner, served ten years in India, got a sunstroke there, was a poor weak old man with only one leg. He was going from Buffalo to Toronto where he would go to the poor house, but stopped off to see Jailer Coulson and the boys. He spent a winter in jail here five years ago. Many were the prayers he uttered that the magistrate and chief and their children might be blessed in this world and rewarded in the next and three times he knelt to pray. He undoubtedly has a tongue that few men are blessed with. He is evidently a professional beggar, and had money in every pocket. He was made to pay his own way to Toronto and to pay for the breakfast given him.