Welland History .ca

The TALES you probably never heard about

Dr. Augustus Louis Jukes (1821-1905)

{Compiled by ‘S’}

Augustus Louis Jukes was born October 30, 1821 in Maharashtra, India.

He was the youngest son of Dr. Andrew Jukes, a physician who was an expert on Arabian affaires and served as secretary to the British Embassy in Tehran. Dr. Jukes was  on a special mission to the Court of Persia when he developed cholera and died before seeing his son Augustus.

In 1822 Augustus returned to England with his mother. The family came to Canada in 1834. The family settled on the Six Nations Indian Reserve, stayed here as a pioneer family until 1837 when Augustus returned to England for more education. Augustus returned to Canada in 1840.

About this time the provincial government assumed control of the Welland Canal and embarked on a program to enlarge it. Augustus Jukes first worked as a roadman to Thomas C. Keefer and then as assistant engineer. Here he worked for the next four years. A change of government resulted  in engineering staff being discharged. At this time Augustus Jukes decided to become a physician.

In 1846 Augustus worked as a medical student with Dr. Theophilus Mack of St Catharines. In 1847 he entered King’s College of Toronto and graduated with medical licence in 1849

In 1849  Dr. Augustus Jukes was appointed surgeon to three companies of incorporated militia whose duty it was to maintain order along the Welland Canal. The headquarters of this group was in Port Robinson and it was here that Dr. Augustus Jukes practiced. A directory has Dr. Jukes ,in 1865, as a resident of Port Robinson and a newspaper notice of his practicing from Coleman’s Hotel in Port Robinson.

In 1857 the militia was disbanded., Dr Jukes eventually moved to St Catharines.

Dr Augustus Jukes married Phoebe Adams on June 7, 1848. She was born October 30, 1821 in New Brunswick. Her father was mayor of St Catharines. Her mother was a sister of Hon. William Hamilton Merritt. They had seven children.

DrAugustus Jukes parents were Dr, Andrew Jukes born December 16,1774 in Shropshire, England.

His mother was Georgina Mary Ewart (!775-1856). She  was a godchild of King George III and a relative of Wm. Ewart Gladstone.

They were married November 30,1814 in Paris, France. Dr. Andrew Jukes died November 10,1821 in Iran.

Dr Augustus Louis Jukes wrote prose and poetry and was an excellent speaker. He was elected first president of the medical association of St Catharines and Lincoln..

In 1878 Dr. Jukes ran on the conservative ticket in the federal election. He was defeated and financially ruined..

On January 28, 1882  on the recommendation of John A. MacDonald he was appointed senior surgeon to the North West Mounted Police. Dr. Jukes moved to Toronto. He examined 214 recruits, as senior medical officer, he left Toronto for Fort Walsh, Cypress Hills region of south west Saskatchewan. It took 32 days to travel there.

The following year he was transferred to North West Mounted Police Headquarters in Regina. He made many trips to outposts in the north west.

In 1885 during Louis Riel’s time in jail, Dr. Jukes visited with him and became friendly with him.

Dr. August Jukes was a member off the commission declaring Louis Riel to be sane. Dr Jukes attended the execution of Louis Riel on November 16, 1885 at police barracks in Regina.

Dr. August Louis Jukes died December 3, 1905 in Vancouver, British Columbia. He is buried in Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver, British Columbia

The children of Augustus Louis Jukes.

Caroline Jukes born July 11, 1859. She married Gilbert E. Sanders, they lived in Calgary Alberta.

Andrew Jukes was born September 14, 1857  in Ontario. He married Rose Halse on October 2, 1884 in Brandon Manitoba.

He lived in Vancouver and worked as a banker. They had four children.

Andrew Jukes died November 17, 1922 and buried in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Sub Lieutenant William J. Jukes was born April 3, 1849 in Toronto. He was in the Royal Navy.

He died March 8, 1872 in Bay of Biscay. He is buried in Harrow-on-the-hill, London England.

“In memory of Sub Lieutenant William A. Jukes, R.N. aged 22 years, late of  Her Majesty’s Ship Ariadne, who was drowned at sea, on the eighth of March 1872. Others of a boat crew, in a gallant attempt to save the life of a shipmate who had fallen overboard. This window is erected by his Brother Officers, to record regret at his loss, & warm admiration of his heroic conduct.”

Katherine Jane Jukes was born 1865?  In Ontario. She married George Buchanan Moffatt born December 13, 1854 in Ontario. He joined the North West Mounted Police in 1878. He became inspector in 1883 and superintendent in 1890. He was retired in 1902 due to poor health.He died  on July 4, 1950 in Victoria, British Columbia.

They had one son Kenneth George Moffatt he was laborer, single died March 4, 1926 at age 39 in Sidney, British Columbia.

Hamilton Augustus Jukes was born in Ontario. He married Mary McBean. Hamilton was an engineer. He was commissioned by the Winnipeg & Hudson Bay Railway & Steamship Company to complete a hydrographical survey of the Nelson River in Northern Manitoba during 1882-1883.

During 1900 he was swamp land commissioner in Winnipeg.

Hamilton  Augustus Jukes died January 16, 1933 in St, James , Manitoba, at the age of 80. He is buried in the Elmwood Cemetery in Winnipeg.

Elias Arthur Jukes was born December 4, 1852 in New Brunswick. He was a druggist and worked in the same building as his father in St Catharines

Elias married Alice Maud Mary Birchall on August 12,1891 in York.

Elias Arthur Jukes died February 28, 1930 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Susan Ann Jukes was born December 1856. in St Catharines. She married Paul Harry Marshall November , 1877 in Lincoln. Paul was a druggist. They moved to  British Columbia. He died January 10,1920. in Vancouver.

More References

Glenbow Museum, Archives Located under  Jukes and Sanders families. With photos.

The Queen’s own Rifles of Canada Regimental Museum has The Louis Riel Coroner’s Jury Report.

Dilys Leman,, is the great-great granddaughter of Dr. Augustus Jukes. She wrote a book “The Winter Count” in 2014.

JOHN HENRY THOMPSON

[Welland Tribune, 14 April 1905]

Expressions of sincere sorrow were heard on every hand when the announcement was made last week by Dr. Emmett, the family physician, that John Thompson of Ridgeville would not probably recover from what, at the worst, was hoped to be but a severe cold. A severe form of pneumonia had set in, and the end soon came, his death occurring on Saturday last, after an illness of only a couple or weeks.

Interment took place on Monday afternoon, the services being held at the family residence, and interment at Dawdy’s cemetery. Rev. G.N. Simmons, pastor of the Baptist church at Fonthill, with whose congregation deceased occasionally worshipped, conducted appropriate services, and not withstanding the inclement weather, there was a large turnout of sorrowing neighbors and friends, all of whom held deceased in highest esteem.

Read the rest of this entry »

JUDSON COMFORT CROW

PROMINENT MEN OF WELLAND COUNTY

[Welland Telegraph, 1904/05]

Judson Comfort Crow

Registrar of Deeds, Welland County, was born in the Township of Pelham in the year 1854, the son of John B. Crow, who was clerk of that township for 28 years. His son received the appointment of the registrarship in 1903 as successor to Col Morin. When clerk of Pelham township he lived at Ridgeville, and as well as being township clerk carried on the business of conveyancer and agent for fire and life insurance. Mr. Crow is a member of the Presbyterian Church and in politics a Liberal.

REV. GABRIEL JOHNSTONE, D.D.

PROMINENT MEN OF WELLAND COUNTY

REV. GABRIEL JOHNSTONE, D.D.

[Welland Telegraph, 1904/05]

The esteemed rector of Holy Trinity Church, Welland, was born at Edenton, North Carolina, in 1843. He was educated at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he graduated in 1861. He served under Gen. Stonewall Jackson in the American Civil War and out of 150 who volunteered with him only 18 survived. He was through seventeen of the bloodiest battles of Virginia. After the war he studied law for two years and then devoted himself to the ministry. He was ordained at Oswego, New York, in 1870. Seven years later he came to Canada and studied at Trinity University taking a post graduate course and securing the degrees of M.A. and Bachelor of Divinity. His first Canadian appointment was at Jarvis. He accepted the rectorship of Holy Trinity church in 1889, today holding the love, respect and admiration of its members.  In 1891 he went to England in the service of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel and gave lectures in the leading cities of England.  He was invited by the society to make a similar tour of Italy and was subsequently pressed to give another series of lectures in England, but both these offers he was forced to refuse owing to the demands of his work at home.  He was made a Doctor of Divinity by the University of North Carolina and was notified by the secretary of the Episcopal Convention of that state that his name had been officially proposed as co-adjutor bishop.  Despite his long absence he came within one vote of being elected to the position. Dr. Johnstone is chaplain of the 44th Regiment and holds a deserved popularity with the officers and men. During the formation of the Canadian contingents for the South African campaign he volunteered three times to enlist in any capacity in which  he could serve the flag and relative to this he has a number of  interesting letters from Colonel Otter, Sir Frederick Bordon and Lord Lansdowne.

Photo by Willson

JOHN FRANKLIN GROSS

PROMINENT MEN OF WELLAND COUNTY

[Welland Telegraph, 1904/05]

JOHN FRANKLIN GROSS

Was born in Hay Township, Huron County, on July 19, 1859, the son of John Gross, who is still living at the age of 80 years.  His grandfather, Jacob Gross,  was a German, and settled in Lincoln County in 1818. Mr. Gross studied law with W, M. German, M.P. and in 1897 was called to the bar. As a Liberal standard bearer he twice carried Welland County, being elected in 1900 and 1902. Mr. Gross is a member of the English Church. - [Welland Telegraph 1904/05]

MAJOR SNARTT – Passes Away in Windsor

(From Brantford Courier of Feb. 28)

[Welland Tribune, 10 March 1905]

A special wire today from Detroit to The Courier announces the death in Windsor this morning of Major George Snartt, for many years one of the best known residents of Brantford.

The Major came to this country some forty years ago with the 7th Fusiliers. He was stationed in Brantford with that regiment, but eventually left the military to take up commercial pursuits. For some ten or fifteen years he was accountant with the well known railway contracting firm of Yates and Stratford. After the dissolution of that firm, he was appointed City Grand Trunk agent and for two or three years looked after the agency of that company on Dalhousie street. From here we went to Welland, where with the late Mr. H.B. Sawle he conducted the Welland Telegraph. Returning to this city he was for a year or so the local manager here of the Bank of London, which institution opened a branch on Colborne street near the Belmont Hotel. On the failure of that bank he left for Detroit, where he engaged positions with the Capsule Co., and the Ouilette Lumber firm, making his home in Windsor.

JOHN WESTWOOD, DEAD

[Welland Tribune, 24 February 1905]

John Westwood, who resided on a farm in the south side of town near the M.C.R., died on Tuesday night after an illness of seven or eight months of Bright’s disease and dropsy. Deceased, who was 51 years of age, was a native of St. George, where he lived most of his life. He moved to Toronto, and about eight years ago to Welland, where he bought J.D. Gunn’s farm. A short time ago he sold the property to W.J. McCoppen. A widow and one daughter, Maud, (the latter employed in Buffalo) survive. The remains were shipped to St. George on Wednesday for interment.

Died: 21 February 1905

CONDUCTOR KILLED

Charles A. Cole, of the Wabash killed at Welland

[Simcoe Reformer, November 17, 1905]

Mr. Charles A. Cole of St. Thomas Conductor of the Wabash railway was instantly killed at Welland Monday night at 7 o’clock.

Mr. Cole was in charge of a west bound freight. Engineer J. King, fireman McGow, The train was approaching the ‘D’ rail at Welland when the engine left the rails and toppled over in the ditch. Conductor Cole was riding on the engine and when it was derailed, he jumped, but to the wrong side and the engine toppled over on him. The engineer and fireman jumped from the other side of the engine and escaped injury.

The steam derrick and auxiliary crew from Niagara Falls cleared up the wreck. Traffic was delayed for some hours.

The body of the unfortunate Conductor was taken to Welland and was brought west on No. 13 Wabash Express on Tuesday.

It is alleged that the accident was caused by the signal being given the train to go on, and that the signal was changed to hold them there, thus opening the ‘D’ switch and derailing the engine.

Conductor Cole was a general favorite with all his fellow employees and held in the highest regard. The statement of an official of the Wabash was that he was one of the best men on the road. The deceased was between 35 and 40 years of age and came from Buffalo where he was employed on the Erie Railway, four or five years ago. He leaves a wife and children, the youngest four days old.